Fly Tying
SamH

How many do you tie?

On a short day at work I will get 3-4 dozen tied at home. Today I just tied 1 fly. Last Saturday i cranked out 6 dozen. I have been buying hooks buy the 100 and damn sure saving that way. If this job goes through in colorado i am wanting to just settle on 2 dozen a night think that is a good number. I have flies going out alot but also just filling all my new boxes. They aren't great yet but looking better.

Sam

Where are directions on posting photos???

After seeing Deeky woven bugger I am working on one that is as fancy. I am really hoping to be able to post a picture if I figure it out. I have been working on it 3 nites then I take a break. Handy to have a couple vises.

Sam

For me, its cyclic. I won't tie anything for weeks and then I'll start tying every night. Most of the flies I tie take over 20 minutes to tie so its a production line type of deal. Man, I wish I had the energy to tie over a dozen each night like you guys. After getting home from work, fixing dinner for my wife and four children, I usually just want to vedge-out.

Kirk

I'm not into production tying and I have more flies than I'll ever use but I still tie 1 or 2 every night. The last few nights I have been trying to get my flies straightened out as they are just a mess. My boxes are full and I have had to buy more storage boxes. I guess it's time to start giving some away again.

I dont know how many i tie a night but i try for 50 of all my hi use flies ie. prince, hairs, ...

and 5 of any new pattern to see if it is a killer or a dud

I must say that I tie a ton of flies but can't seem to get myself to tie more than two of the same type. I'm always changing the style, technique, color, new material etc.. So much that i am lucky to even get 6 flies tied in 3 hours. I will just trip out and think about the perfect pattern, shuffle though all my material, look for the perfect hook etc... This takes a ton of time but i enjoy trying new things. If i was tying a certain pattern I'm sure i could pump out a bunch but I'm not a factory.

i enjoy tying alot so i take my time, usually tying about 5 flies a night if i get a chance. i tied a dozen the other day and i thought that was alot. i have mostly been tying leeches though, so chironomids take like 2 minutes lol

Since I only tie for myself and for give aways I am at the low end. If you averaged it all out probably 2-3 a day but I generally sit down and tie 1-2 dozen as the mood hits me and I have time or the occasional fly box reload where I just replace a few go to patterns that are getting low.

I am not a commercial tyer, hell i have only been tying for 7 months. But i do give some to friends that insist on paying me as well as adding to my collection. I have also been filling up shadow boxes with different patterns and putting their name down as well any info i might have on the fly. If plans go well my family and I are moving to colorado and I want to have a room in the new house that is just my fly fishing stuff as well as the antique gun collection. Thought that would be a helluva man cave. But I just love to tie. If i am not at work and the kids are asleep, I am at the tying bench. Last night I started some 18th century patterns that i just received in an email. I hope to find some more old patterns. The ones I tied are very similar to the tenkara pattern just a thread body and a hackle. But the hackle is wound around the thread and then it is wrapped around the hook as one. I absolutely love tying with silk but it is just to high to tie all my flies with.

Sam