Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
River Thug

Trip to Viet Nam

Hi all.

My cousin is taking a trip to Viet Nam soon and wants to fly fish the rivers and lakes.

Could you please help me with some patterns. The only one I have found so far is the Ausable Wulff.

What else you got?

Anything would help.

Thanks

Ausable Wulff seems sort of an odd first thought when thinking of a place such as Viet Nam ??

I would say there is no way to go wrong with some various sized baitfish imitations such as Clouser Deep Minnows, Lefty's Deceivers, Half-and-Halfs, all in light and dark colors as well as chartreuse/white. Also perhaps a few poppers and surface bugs such as would be used for bluegills and largemouths here, and a box of smaller (8-10-12) wet flies such as woolly worms, woolly buggers, march browns, generic nymphs and leeches, etc because even if there is nothing big and predatory to catch there will undoubtedly be some sort of smaller panfish sized things swimming around.

Just curious, how did you come up with Ausable Wulff for Southeast Asia?? It would probably work, but that's just weird.

I did a lot of traveling around SEA and while I didnt make it to Vietnam it was an amazing experience. I didn't do any fly fishing as I was traveling for 9 months with a small back pack but explored the idea quite a bit.

Read up on Snakeheads, a popular game fish which actually breathes hair and has a fancy towards top water presentations. Im thinking some giant bass bugs and poppers could be really successful.

Ausable Wulff seems sort of an odd first thought when thinking of a place such as Viet Nam ??

I would say there is no way to go wrong with some various sized baitfish imitations such as Clouser Deep Minnows, Lefty's Deceivers, Half-and-Halfs, all in light and dark colors as well as chartreuse/white. Also perhaps a few poppers and surface bugs such as would be used for bluegills and largemouths here, and a box of smaller (8-10-12) wet flies such as woolly worms, woolly buggers, march browns, generic nymphs and leeches, etc because even if there is nothing big and predatory to catch there will undoubtedly be some sort of smaller panfish sized things swimming around.

Just curious, how did you come up with Ausable Wulff for Southeast Asia?? It would probably work, but that's just weird.

The Ausable Wulff seemed prety strange to me too when I read that someone else on this site had used it there.

I like your recomondations. All of them are about what I expected to be used there but it's always good to get a second or even a third opinion.

I did a lot of traveling around SEA and while I didnt make it to Vietnam it was an amazing experience. I didn't do any fly fishing as I was traveling for 9 months with a small back pack but explored the idea quite a bit.

Read up on Snakeheads, a popular game fish which actually breathes hair and has a fancy towards top water presentations. Im thinking some giant bass bugs and poppers could be really successful.

The Bass bugs for the snake heads sounds prety good.

Thanks.

Speaking of Snakeheads, here is a link to the website of the Malaysian Fly Rodders. There are sections

of the forum in English. In the English Language Fly Tying Forum there are some familiar patterns and a

Step-By-Step for tying a "Snakehead Gurgler".

Malaysian Fly Rodders

Speaking of Snakeheads, here is a link to the website of the Malaysian Fly Rodders. There are sections

of the forum in English. In the English Language Fly Tying Forum there are some familiar patterns and a

Step-By-Step for tying a "Snakehead Gurgler".

Malaysian Fly Rodders

Thanks for that. That is one heck of a fly. I think I'll let my cousin buy it there.