Fly Tying
SamH

Looking for the right bobbin.

What bobbin is best to use with the Pearsall Silk thread on the little spools?? I have modified one old bobbin so that the feet sit squarely with the spool but I don't want to crank around on my tiemco bobbins to much. Is there a bobbin that works really well for these little spools? Also how many tie with silk? I have fallen in love with it and am now using it on most of my soft hackles. It just seems to class up the red ass soft hackle more than just standart 6/o uni.

Going to try and get up some pictures tonight.

Sam

i just use a cheap ceramic bobbin from gander mountain.

pearsalls is my favorite thread to use, i like to use natural materials, so i use pearsalls on all of my flies with natural materials

I have been transferring the thread from the small spools to the regular ones. I really enjoy tying with the stuff, too - it's great for soft hackles. I understand the Matarelli midge bobbin is supposed to be a perfect match for the smaller spools.

I have several, I think my favorite is the Wasatch, ceramic. But the Materelli works very well also. Silk and wax is a great medium to work with.

I got a Wasatch Micro Ceramic Bobbin, from Badger Creek, a couple of years ago. It's perfect for the Pearsalls spools. A bit pricey for a bobbin, but it is really nice. The brass and wood accents are very classy. Check it out. It's just below the boxed sets on this page: http://www.mwflytying.com/tools/wasatch.html