Fly Tying
smalliestalker

Sculpin for Mr. Vegas

Hey Vegas...This is the fly I was talking about. I tie it with a deer hair head..Weighted yellow dumbell eyes...The tail is olive rabbir with tan/white/red bucktail for the belly with a little flash....The fins are pheasant...The hook is a 1/0 Mustad 34007....This fly has been killer for me on smallies....

post-22995-1295288518_thumb.jpg

Me likes!! I need to get some other colors of deer hair from BPS and I am going to try and tackle this one tomorrow! THANKS for showing me!!

this is the sculpin I have been tying and caught 2 smaller rainbows a couple weeks ago.

Its tan, green, and black wool, yarn body, zonker strip with a rib matuka style and pheasant for the fin which I put head cement to stiffen it up. I also tie mine so the hooks rides up as well

fnnjkekne8seefn22fsrjfn2ee.jpg

Smallie, nice sculpin. On the deer head flies with feathered fins, are you sticking them in after trimming like you do with the rubber legs? If so, what glue do you use?

Kirk

Smallie, nice sculpin. On the deer head flies with feathered fins, are you sticking them in after trimming like you do with the rubber legs? If so, what glue do you use?

Kirk

oh oh good question!

Very nice fly, superb deer hair work!

Looks a lot like one of my patterns, except mine uses hackles for a wing instead of rabbit, I also put white bucktail on the bottom. Mine is called the Sculpatuka, being tied in the body/ wing style of a Matuka, and a head made of deer hair to look like a sculpin. Sometimes I put fins on sometimes not. A lot like this one.

Again really great job on this one, your deer hair work is phenomenal!

thanks all....yeah the hook rides point up....and yes, I put the fins on after trimming....I use zap a gap and have never had trouble with them falling off....All flies get beat up after a being gnawed on for a while though...cheers...