Fly Tying
centerx

Alternative fly tying materials

wow guitar strings?? I have a ton of those. What size are you using?

GHS Strings brand, Plain 9, .009" (.229mm)

Guest rich mc

i think i recall tyers using used dryer sheets for wings. also saw somone make some hellgie pinchers out of a small rubber o ring rich mc

I often use paint brushes for tailing. My dad was a draftsman and had an old brush to sweep away readings and stuff on blue prints. I had it laying around and found it was horse hair. I use that for tailing to but also for ribbing. I like yarn too. It's natural and you can blend it to almost and color. It's cheap and/ or free too.

Use magnetic wire instead of expensive small rolls they sell us as copper wire ribbing.. I bought 1,5km wire for twenty bucks from eBay.

Does anyone have a craft store product for Palmer chenille?

I have found several substitues in the ribbon section of Hobby Lobby. Kind of flashy, but if thats the look you are after it will work. The one I can remember I had to remove wire and some paper like material from its center. Periodically the rolls go on sale for 50% off, which makes it about a tenth the price of estaz.

For crab bodies, I have seen a U-Tube video where the guy used sticky back velcro in a biege color.

Also for crab bodies I have used a material called mole hair, which also has a sticky back. This material was applied to my son's cast were his skin would be rubbed. It has a sticky back, which helps placement of the legs when you sandwich the material on either side of the hook.

Also during my son's recent hostpital stays, I collected a lot of colored wire, clear tubing and foam as almost everything they use now a days is one time use only.

For winging material the list is almost endless: synthetic feather duster, dollar store hair extentions, walmart bags ect ect.

Recently saw a website (I think Garthside as in Garthside Gurgler) where a cigerate filter was used for a particular fly.

Lots of eye materials out there as well. I sure like the looks of the 3D eyes, just don't like the price. Doll eyes, plastic bead necklaces, rivit heads, make your own with fabric paint (see Casey Smartt's website).

Lastly, I think there are books and website on this topic. Might want to google cheap fly material or something similar.

All of the following have been purchased at the Dollar Tree, Dollar General or Family Dollar.

Flip flops for foam bodies

Synthetic "feather" Duster ... the fibers for any number of uses ... usually bright yellow, blue pink and green colors, all on one duster

Double edged razor blades

Needle point thread ... bright colors for tight body profiles

Purchased from Goodwill and other thrift stores ... various furs on old jackets.

I have been on a quill body craze the last week. I went home for lunch and said, screw it, i'll tie one up. My quills were not soaked so it broke right away. So like a good Texan, I went out to the barn, snagged a hair off ole Maggie, my wifes horse, in return for a carrot and tied that sucker right in. At first it looked kind of light with no real segmentation. But when I put a drop of Slly Hansens on it the color changed and it was perfect. I may never go back to peacock sripped quills..

So, I just have to buy a horse, Don?

Nah, you read what the man said: Use carrot as a bait and be quick about it.