Fly Tying
flytyer166

parachute help

i have recently been getting into tying parachutes. i have i problem though. every time i finish a fly i realize that on the underside of the fly, it is showing thread. i know what you guys are saying, "well just dub it". i cant dub the place where its always showing thread without making my fly look excesively bulky. any tips?

i have recently been getting into tying parachutes. i have i problem though. every time i finish a fly i realize that on the underside of the fly, it is showing thread. i know what you guys are saying, "well just dub it". i cant dub the place where its always showing thread without making my fly look excesively bulky. any tips?

First question- how are you attaching the wing? If you tie it in with fibers straddling the hook, there will be a fair amount of bulk under the hook. Try this: double the yarn over the thread; pull the yarn/thread onto the top of the hook; lash the wing down with just a few more snug wraps; post the wing. Then you have zero bulk under the hook from tying in the wing, and can wrap thinly-dubbed thread there.

Chuck

There are 2 ways I tie the fly. One way is to put your tails on and dub the body up to the post. Tie in your hackle and dub up to the eye and back to the post where you let your thread hang. Wind your hackle around the post and then whip finish the thread around the post. Then just snip off the remaining hackle and there you are. Another way you can do it is to dub to the post attach and wind your hackle. Whip finish the hackle again around the post and snip off the remaining hackle stem and continue dubbing to the eye and whip finish. Remember, if your fly is bulky it's simply because you are using too much dubbing. It's much easier to add dubbing. I hope this helps a little. It's easier to demonstrate than to try to explain in writing.

try this tutorial

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...cfm?parentID=32

try this tutorial

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...cfm?parentID=32

This is the tutorial I used when I was learning! Helped a ton

flytyer166

This is a very simple problem to solve. Instead of using scissors, use a very sharp blade. I use a small ceramic knife, but a razor blade should work as well. Pull your thread out at 90 degrees from the body and slide the blade in as close to the body as you can. The great thing about this method is you will cut only your thread!