Fly Tying
troutdynamite

tying desk customization?

I got lucky-when we bought our house there were 2 benches in the basement. one had cupboards above it so I stripped the surface off of it down to the wood. I subsequently removed some shelving from a cupboard and put one of the mdf boards down for a white surface. I also bought some storage containers from home depot which are about a dollar a piece.

marc

Hi,

Just seen this post and thought I'd my 2 quids worth.

I've attached pictures of my tying area and the shelfs that contain my materials.

Best Regards,

~David

post-29186-1296584648_thumb.jpg

post-29186-1296584962_thumb.jpg

post-29186-1296585164_thumb.jpg

post-29186-1296585356_thumb.jpg

post-29186-1296585484_thumb.jpg

I was of the mind to buy or build a tying specific desk, but then I found what I needed at a used furniture store. I found a nice 4 1/2'x2 1/2' hardwood office desk for $75. It has six drawers. Enough to store my most used materials, vise and tools. So I guess what I am saying is check out some used furniture stores, you might find what you need for less $ than you can build it.

Like a few others here I also like the flexibility of a simple 4 foot long table. At the back I keep most of my tools on a couple of shelves and in a home-made tool caddy. I keep my materials in a closet and just bring out what I need for the flies I am currently tying. But there is more than one way to skin a cat, isn't there?

The only thing I have done that I would strongly recommend is to build a short (4" to 6") projection from the bench for mounting your vise so that clipped material (think deer hair) can fall directly into your trash receptacle and not all over your benchtop.