Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jburge

Tenkara Swap (any style)

John, Let's make a Tenkara day of it this Spring. I'd like to see how this style of fly worhs the H2O.

Thanks again for hosting.

Later...

You betcha! We'll connect and maybe even make it more than a day :)

John

Whoa, did I go way overboard...

John,

That is just the information I was looking for. Lots of info on the Tenkara USA sight, but I was looking for info from someone who has actually tried it. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun with this. I'll drop you a PM when I start getting set up. I'm glad I joined this swap, I'll have a great box of flies just waiting for a tenkara rod. Thanks.

John, I've been curious about this style of fly fishing for some time and that was a great post, thank you!

-- Mike

Mike!

Glad to see and hear from you! I haven't been been able to do much of anything online for a number of months--life, kids, job changes, finding out I'm a grandpa... :lol:

Since there really does seem to be an interest, I think I'll post some pix of the flies as they come in, just for all to see. Definitely worth the learning experience. Hope all's well!

John

well im glad i made it in the last slot avaliable, started doing research tonight and picking up a few supplies in the morning to begin! As you said i think this will be great swap aswell! can't wait to begin tying. :headbang:

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, looking forward to seeing the flies. I just started looking into Tenkara 3 or 4 days ago -I'm excited to get outfitted & give it a shot this season.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, looking forward to seeing the flies. I just started looking into Tenkara 3 or 4 days ago -I'm excited to get outfitted & give it a shot this season.

NineZeroSeven,

Way to go. I think you'll really enjoy the simplicity of it all.

John

I will be tying a Sakasa Kebari style fly like most of everyone, it will be interesting to see all the different styles and type people will tie. I will post a pic of one of mine when completed.

My first attempt at a Tenkara, #10 Dry

Any pointers?

yetavon,

I'm not going to claim to be an expert ;) so others can jump in here too, but I'm glad to share some pointers. First of all, you got a fish-catcher there, no doubt! The overall body length looks good, and the colors are great too. I'm certain you'll be landing fish with that fly.

I'd only change a couple of things. I'd make the red head a little shorter in length and move the hackle position more forward. And remember, that's just me. If you like the proportions, go for it. Because we have some pretty rough waters in our freestone streams, I would put one or two more turns of the hackle on, just to keep the fly floating in turbulent water. And just as a technique thing, if you want a smoother body, you can try a couple of things: 1) Smaller diameter thread. (In the attached picture, I used some 8/0 Uni to create a thread body.) It'll take more wraps but help with developing a nice taper, and 2) Try flattening your thread before you whip finish. If you're a right-handed tier, you can give your bobbin a counter-clockwise spin. That'll spread the fibers out a bit and make for a smoother overall finish. Just my .02.

That said, nice work! I have no problem taking one of those out this spring and catching fish :)

John

post-19568-1296408159_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at a Tenkara, #10 Dry

and more

Any pointers?

yetavon,

Did you add more pix? All I saw was the #10 dry.

John

heres a pic of my first fly for the swap any input would be awsome! i could always do a different one if its not looking for good. let me know your thoughts.

hook:mustad 3399A size 12

thread: tan uni-thread 6/0

hackle:grizley hen

dubbing:olive skeeter fuzz

body:wrapped in tan uni-thread

ribbing: Fl. green uni-cord

post-30349-1296409488_thumb.jpg

and more

Any pointers?

yetavon,

Now I see the "and more." :) Nice job! Proportions look really good, the reverse hackle is sweet, and fish-killing colors too. The wings are a nice touch. Just me, I'd go a little shorter, but I love the idea. Reminds me of the style of fly Davie McPhail ties up:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail#p/u/44/L-oWwsEs_0Q

Man, I can tell already we're going to have a great set of flies. Thanks!

John