Fly Tying
lawrence

wire wonen flies

Hi Guys

Last year i was lucky enough to be invited to Yellowstone Montana to the Conclave.

Some of the organisers had heard about my wire woven nymphs and was invited to carry out a workshop at the Holiday Inn.

Well we were supposed to be there for 10 days but ended up staying for 17 days, that is how much we enjoyed the people scenery and the food.

I started doing these woven nymphs 2 years ago when we were at the Spring fly fair in Newark Nottingham England, i met up with a few old friends Ed Berg Misako Ishimura and Mark Romero.

We had been discussing the problems with leaded flies, ie the lead eventually coming through the dubbing and patterns being so bulky,when i had an idea of using Oliver Edwards weaving technique but using UTC wires.

It took several goes to get the technique right and a lot longer using different coloured wires but to date there has been 3 patterns that have worked amazingly on the Irish rivers and also on the rivers in the states.

We were invited to fish the Madison the firehole and the Gibbon in yellowstone park

Gene Kazmerk our guest could not believe the ammount of fish we caught on these nymphs even when there was massive hatches of caddis coming off the water.

the three patterns we used to great effect were the red and silver nymph, theteal blue and silver nymph and the best was the black and silver nymph.

These patterns are awsome with the weaving for the body you get a slimline he wire is really effective of giving a segmented effect and boy they sink like mad.

I now use these for upstream nymphing at the head of pools with incredible effect, and they are just as effective when swung round

here is some photos for you yo copy , believe me they work

enjoy

redwovennymph.jpg

tealwovennymph.jpg

blackandsilvernymph.jpg

Great stuff, although you can't see the woven pattern with these photos. Which weave did you use, and what diameter wire? Hope to run into you at one of the Conclaves, because I'd like to see how this is done.

I like everything about these. The profile, the ribbing effect, the weight, etc. These can be tied to match any of the mayflies found in the western US and far beyond I'm sure. The wire weaving can be used in so so many different ways. Thanks for the posting and the new ideas.

I tried weaving with wire and I always seem to break the wire at some point :( GREAT FLIES

Those are fantastic! I've always wanted to weave with wire but never tried it. Glad to see that it actually works....and works well!