Fly Tying
Trout.vs.Bass

Weirdest thing you have found fishing

This is about my 5th post on this topic but it's got me thinking about all the weird stuff I've found!

Found a nearly fossilized buffalo horn in a creek that must have washed up after all the high water that spring. Talked to a local guy and he said there wouldn't have been buffalo in that part of the country in the last 120 years or so. Might have been even older.

I was guiding a couple on Spearfish Creek. One hooked a nice rainbow and broke it off....no big deal. About a week later I was guiding another couple in the same spot and the lady hooked and landed a 16" bow that happened to have the midge pattern I lost a week earlier on the tip of its nose. She caught it on the same midge pattern that the bow took and broke off a week earlier. I've still go that fly in my box.

On the Bighorn a couple years back, landed a bow and brown that had both hooked up on someone's tandem nymph rig and broke them off. Caught them by hooking the eyelet of the #20 midge dropper with the dropper on my rig. I couldn't do that again if I tried.

On Spearfish Creek on the edge of town, I always find a lot of flip-flops, toys, etc. Well one time I was starting a day of fishing with a friend when some kids ran up and asked us if we'd seen a girl float by on a tube. We said we'd keep an eye out for her. We fished upstream and about 300ft up there was a tube flipped upside down on a tree stump! :bugeyes: Both my friend and I looked at each other and got pale as ghosts. I finally got up enough nerve to look under the tube, but luckily no one was under it. Don't know if it was even her tube, but we never saw anyone float the creek that day. Hope things turned out all right! :unsure:

In the early 80's I was a mate on a commercial fishing boat ( New Smyrna, FL) and we brought along some Kentucky fried chicken for one of the many dinners, which we ate and tossed the bones over, as we ate. Anyway, a couple of us decided to try some evening fishing (if successful we could sleep in), and we rigged up for flat lining herring for some possible King Mackerel. We caught 1/2 dozen pretty quick and gutted them and in everyone them there were chicken bones! So you know where I'm going, i tied a drum stick bone to double shanked 5/0 and after letting out line I hooked another King and the two of us hooked many,many more :blink:

So I know KFC is finger licking good, but I never thought I would see chicken bones in any fish! Pretty weird

On my way down a trail to go Steelhead fishing a few years ago, I found a couple as did John P, but

they weren't lying on the ground. They were 'doing it' against a big Redwood tree. I wouldn't have

known they were there if I hadn't heard them and took a quick look. :bugeyes:

ohhh and a mouse in a bottle where he could get in but not back out. He still was alive bearly

That reminds me of the Bob & Doug Mackenzie bit. A classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgVspgy184

Andrew

hahahah that was funny! this bottle was empty but surprised me

I don’t think it is weird but cool. I caught 3 fish on one hook, not a treble hook, a single hook. When I was a kid I was fishing for catfish and had 3 of them on my stringer but the fish pulled it out of the ground and swam away. That sucked but I continued to fish and about an hour later I got a bite and reeled it in to find all 3 of the fish still on my stringer. I ended up letting the fish go since they were so determined to live.

One time I caught a trout only to have a second trout hanging from some fishing line. Someone was fishing a double bait rig and broke it off and 2 fish had eaten the bait and one fish decided it wasn’t full and ate mine also. I’ll tell you, that really impresses people when you reel in 2 fish at the same time.

I guess these are not really weird ,but a dead pony floating (hung up in some overhanging branches), a dead somewhat bloated dog that floated past me while wading, and remenants of a cow (skull with some skin still attached plus misc. other bones). I guess this is what you get for fishing near farms, of course I fish the Conestoga in Lancaster (city) and can find everything including the kitchen sink there. <_<

i have pulled a fish in by a loop of mono from an old bait rig fussed in its face. I pulled it in removed the hook and pulled the mono out and let the fish go better then before.

I was walking a rail road track back to a big hole of water that i have caught many nice smallies. On my way i met a couple of hippies that had cat fished the big hole. They told me about a huge fish that pulled one of their poles in. after about an hour of fishing, something caught my eye. I wadded out into about four foot of water and grabbed a snoopy fishing pole. The fight was on. It took about thirty minutes to reel in one of the biggest carp i had ever landed. Thier wasnt any kids with the gentelmen i had met on the tracks! things that make you go, humm.

I've found a few decrepit old boats WAY up in the salt marshes. One of them is up horseshoe creek and the other is on simpsons in Jacksonville. Only thing I can figure is they got washed up there in a bad storm, or they've just been dumped.

Flyfisher 13 and I are always finding naked dolls when we fish. Freaky to be wading and look down and see an almost lifelike infant hand sticking up outta the mud. Has given me palpatations on more than one occassion. Once she and I found a doll floating in the shallows, face down. It looked so real that we both went running to it. Scared the shit outta me and I've seen some stuff, but the children were always the worst of it all. I was so freaked out that day that we left the creek and didn't speak on the ride home. One of the strangest things I ever found fishing was a German bayonet from WW1 in a creek just outside of Gate City , Virginia when I was a kid. Never really questioned how it ended up there.

When I was a young kid I found an arrow head about 3 feet out into the lake. It was sort of a rocky beach. As a young boy, it was the coolest thing you could find. I later lost it and I cried for a week.

When I was a young kid I found an arrow head about 3 feet out into the lake. It was sort of a rocky beach. As a young boy, it was the coolest thing you could find. I later lost it and I cried for a week.

As a kid that WOULD certainly have broken my heart . Love finding artifacts from the earlier tribes.

One time I found an old army ammo can. When I opened it up it had coins in it and said i found a hidden treasure and it also has some kind on log book that people who find this can sign it. After a few minutes of looking everything over in this can. I found out it's a game that people play. They hide things and people go out and search for them.. :o So that was my strangest thing i found..

I was living in San Francisco right next to Lake Merced. I had been fishing in my tube there a few times with conventional gear and had been catching a few nice bass every trip. I convinced my buddy to come out with me one evening and about 1/2 hr in we see what I thought was a big blue foam block pretty deep in the tulles. He freaked out but I wasn't buying it. I went in with my tube (gave him my rods) and when I was about 6 feet away started to get a better look. Hmm, those kind of look like shoes, that looks like a shirt and...ahh damn, that's hair!!! :blink:

The worst part about this was I hadn't gotten to my "spot". I convinced my buddy to wait to call 911 so I could fish in peace :nono:

Floater and bloated as could be. My buddy and I both made the evening news and every cop, fire fighter and rescue person came out. We had 7 cop cars, 2 fire chiefs arguing who's jurisdiction it was, 5 other fire engines and 2 "recovery" units out there to go along with 5 news stations and two ambulances.

I never fished Lake Merced again :)

Todd