Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boynabubble

How many of you keep a fishing journal?

What all do you keep track of? I tried to keep one last year but got lazy. This year I'm more determined to stay on top of it. Have any of you kept a journal before? Do you find them useful?

I keep the usual. Temp ,wind ,water clarity,target species , most productive fly, number hook-ups and so on. On saltwater trips I record tidal info as well. I find it useful when planning trips and eliminating unproductive water . I also keep a tying journal as well.

Fred

Pretty much what Fred said. I would also note cloud cover and barometric pressure and whether it was rising or falling and other things such as if the weather had been that way for days, recently changed, was hours or day before a frontal passage, after a rainfall, etc. Also, I liked noting where in a pond I caught fish or saw fish or if there was activity that I could not capitalize on and any ideas I may have thought of later that maybe I should have tried (don't know why but I usually think of something I should have done when I'm driving home or maybe the next day). In that same vein, if I spoke to anyone that may have fished the same day and commented that they did or did not do and maybe if they found a pattern such as the fish were deep that day or shallow, etc. Basically like Fred, anything that will help plan or be better prepared for on a future trip.

I haven't done it in years since I stopped guiding when I was fishing on a very regular basis.

Kirk

I use it to go back a year n see what was working that time of year. Also keeps track of weather, and different locations. it helps to figure out what to use, and where to use it.

I always like to use one that way I know what i used how it did and the conditions of the water, weather, etc... I learned to do this from my wildlife classes we have to keep a journal with all of this data for later reference that way if someone wants to repeat what we had done they could look at an entry and follow it back to the location, the weather conditions, and all sorts of other things.

I've been keeping track of the usual stuff(weather,water level,etc) but I've mainly been trying to keep track of hatches. There aren't any very good hatch charts for the rivers around here so I'm making my own. I've also been tossing around the idea of using a seine and keeping track of nymphs.

-Mike

I've been keeping track of the usual stuff(weather,water level,etc) but I've mainly been trying to keep track of hatches. There aren't any very good hatch charts for the rivers around here so I'm making my own. I've also been tossing around the idea of using a seine and keeping track of nymphs.

-Mike

I'm going to restart my journal this year for that same reason. It seems that the hatch charts are very loosely based around here, and I need to start keeping track of that info. I use to carry a big D-net kick seine that was on loan from a university. I've been looking at getting a little pocket seine that I found from an aquatic ento equipment supplier. It might interest you.

http://www.bioquip.com/Search/DispProduct.asp?pid=4224

I've always said I was going to start a journal and have tried many things like spreadsheets for tracking data. For now I'm sticking with my blog to track most things found in a fishing journal. I'm hoping in time I can look back and have something valuable. Only time will tell.

I keep a journal about the fish I catch, the fly I was using, where I caught the fish and etc. I also measure all my fish and photograph them before I release them. Then I write a few lines about the day and my activities.

I'm planning on getting a tagging gun so I can monitor the growth of the brown trouts in my river, how old they get and how much they travel in the river. I already recognize many individuals so it will be fun taking it to the next level :)

-Mike

I'm going to restart my journal this year for that same reason. It seems that the hatch charts are very loosely based around here, and I need to start keeping track of that info. I use to carry a big D-net kick seine that was on loan from a university. I've been looking at getting a little pocket seine that I found from an aquatic ento equipment supplier. It might interest you.

http://www.bioquip.com/Search/DispProduct.asp?pid=4224

Thanks for the link. That looks perfect.

-Mike

i fish over 150 days/evenings a year so yes i keep a journal. It is the basis to my winter fly tying, because of the book i know roughly how many and what size to tie for the year to come. It also help me to beet my buds on the river!! i know what i hit them on last year at around the same time so its my fisrt rig on and 80% of the time i got a fish on first lol.

I have two. One where I keep a narrative version of the trip; who i was with, where we went, who fell in, and memorable/numerous anecdotes. The other is where I record technical data. I figure someday, long after I'm dead, some ancestor of mine can try to publish the narrative one and make lots of money off me.

When i was young one of my birthdays i got a 'fishing diary' it had sections to add detailed information such as, temp, tide, wind, moon, barometer along with all the location, method, rig, maps, a photo section etc.

After using it for a few seasons some definite patterns emerged which i could fairly successfully fall back upon. Became an 'almanac'. Must say i became a better angler and was more likely to be where the fish were at a specific time! Right now i don't keep one, but sure as other people have said these things quickly become fishing books and are part of success on the water.

The past two seasons I kept saying I'd do one and never did. This year I think I must. I had two many days that I would find the perfect fly that was just getting hammered only to have no love with the same fly a couple days later. I figure after a couple years worth of journals I might be able to figure out why and get a jump on the day.