Fly Tying
Li'lDave

North Queensland Fly Fishers Tying Sessions

Just a couple of quick updates from the club

A fishing trip by a couple of members on Friday

the Palms with Ben and Dan

and

the club tying the bangers

Also,... for those that are interested... and it may not be something for this year. But we are hosting a tropical saltwater flyfishing competition this year (it's been run for the last 10, but this will be our first year since taking it over). It's the longest running saltwater fly fishing competition in Australia... and will be held in September this year (and usually its around the same time). Have a think about it... Maybe something to aim for next year? It'd be great if we could attract a few of our northern brothers and sisters to the comp :D

The Hinchinbrook Flyfishing Challenge

:P

We're hopefully heading offshore for a morning's worth of fishing this Saturday...

I've been having fun over our extended Easter weekend catching numerous tarpon and perch in the local freshwater, and a little jack off the beach

Saturday we went for a drive with the 6wt

32tarpon23042011.jpg

jack23042011.jpg

was good to see my weed guards aren't efftective fish guards too

On the 2wt yesterday :P

2wttarpon.jpg

But it was pretty quiet yesterday

scatteredrises.jpg

This afternoon I took the 4wt down to a little stream closer to home... No trout here ;)

topofpool.jpg

upstream.jpg

but plenty of these little fellas

playingtarpon.jpg

Charlietarpon2.jpg

Charlieperch.jpg

I went out with my partner for the Hinchinbrook Flyfishing competition yesterday (it's both our first times fishing the hinchinbrook challenge and a really excited).. First time fishing together and we didn't do too bad... Well we (he) had a laugh, and I didn't get fed to the crocs so it must've been ok...

We started out well... Marty landed a nice barra and a beautiful jack (that I unfortunately lost at the boat for him :roll: ) in short time... Me... half a dozen eats before I finally managed a pretty little jack.... and then atleast a half dozen more including 1 barra we saw feeding in a drain that promptly showed me just how undergunned my 6wt is :whatever , popping my tippet as I was forced to lock up to keep him out of the next set of snags....

martysbarra.jpg jack20thing.jpg

Broke the tip of my 9wt Cascade again yesterday :evil: ... I was roll casting it when the top 2/3 of the tip just broke clean off :? (must have clousered it in the past).

http://nqflyfishers.com/hinchinbrook-flyfi...-challenge.html

A great morning out... everywhere we expected fish we found 'em 8-) ...

surprise surprise, Flies of the morning were weed-guarded white over white clouser minnows B) but my little jack was taken on a pink and white variation on a whistler theme - pink zonker collar and a white zonker tail, with lead solder wire wrapped around the head for weight (the tail was very buoyant but managed to get down once wet)