Fly Tying
BeginnerFlyTyer

Deer hair hair fly questions

I tied some Dahlberg Divers :wallbash: and they didn't seem to come out right so here's a few question.

What to use to glue on eyes

What hooks to use

Where to buy hooks

Do bait hooks work

What to use for tails of divers.

I've just started to play with stacking deer hair. Not much experience. I use Zap A Gap for the eyes. As for the hooks, look for short shanks, wide gaps and heavy wire.

Zap a Gap is fine on the eyes

I mainly use Mustad 34011 and 34007 stainless hooks 1/0-4/0

Tails can be made from hackle, rabbit strips, marabou....

You can tie a fly on just about any hook.....the gap on surface flies is very important though....You need a large enough gap so you don't miss hookups....

Try jstockard for supplies...

i like to use mustad 3366 in a size 2. its a less expensive hook but still gets the job done. they run about 5.95 for a hundred pack. i use a 3 in 1 craft glue to put on my eyes

For hooks, I prefer size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 hooks and size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S hooks -- despite the different size designations, these two models are exactly the same size, provide a wide hook gap, and the bend shape is perfect for tying in a mono weedguard. I also think they're the perfect length for Dahlbergs.

For tails, I prefer to use a combination of rooster neck feathers (either from saltwater/bass necks or strung neck hackle), marabou, and Krystal Flash.

If you decide to use "baitholder" hooks, make sure they don't have the tiny barbs they typically come with that helps keep bait from falling off the hook.

-- Mike

I tied some Dahlberg Divers :wallbash: and they didn't seem to come out right so here's a few question.

What hooks to use

Where to buy hooks

Do bait hooks work

Look under the warm water section, there was an excellent video posted yesterday. For glue the more flexible you can get, like a rubber based adhesive the better. Use goop or Beacon 527 for the eyes. Check out Chris Helms White Tail Fly Tying for the best deer hair. He also has the best videos.

What hooks to use

Where to buy hooks

Do bait hooks work

hey man!

remember to cut in pockets for the eyes, then use epoxy. This helps add rigidity to the fly and makes it more durable as the epoxy spreads a bit at the base of the fibres.

Gamakatsu b10s are excellent hooks and the owner worm bend hooks are great (but you have to debarb the shank) and are my personal favourite.

The best things to use for tails are:

Rabbit strips- be sure to place a mono loop or tough fure under to prevent it from wrapping around the hook shank.

Bucktail

Crystal flash only (this is what Larry Dahlberg used originally)

hope that helps :)

i know it may be a little against the rules of fly tying but i use eagle claw streight shank hooks. 1/0 amd 2/0. about 3.50 for 50 of em, get em at wally world.

super glue the eyes

usually hackle or magnum bunny strips for the tails on mine. throw a little marabou in front of em. krystal flash also

lotta guys covered it in here, just wanted to add a little too

"What to use to glue on eyes"

I use 5 minute epoxy, I either burn a pocket with sodering gun or cut a pocket. 5 minute is good because you can push and ooze the eye in as it sets. Actually I sometimes dont do eyes on divers.

"What hooks to use"

Stinger wide gap assorted for fresh and 3407 or other wide gap for saltwater

"Where to buy hooks"

Online sources are many. Google fly tying stinger hooks.

"Do bait hooks work"

Bait hooks work, I use them too, I recommend carefully straightening the offset so they track correctly in water.

"What to use for tails of divers."

saddle hackle, bucktail, ostrich, marabou, rabbit, krystal flash, synthetics in the mix, the skies the limit...

P3273162-lr.jpg

js-diver-lr.jpg

js-dhpatterns-dbdiver-6-08-hr.jpg

Goop thinned with toluene has been used by many for gluing on eyes on hair bugs for years... IMO Epoxy is too hard and seeps into the hair too much.

I think there is nothing wrong with tying flies on regular ole' bait hooks, if there are bait holder barbs just smash em' flat. I recently submitted a few patterns for a comercial tying company and the response I recieved was why are these not tied the same as the orignals you sent to me..... I told the gentlaman that I figured that they would not want them tied on a bait holder hook he said he was going to throw the first submission in his personal box and expected a new submission tied on the original hooks.... once he recieved them he overjoyed with the flies. Save cash, have fun!!!

Steve

I tie mine on good ole bait hooks as well. Zap a gap for the eyes. I get the hooks at walmart or bass pro shops