Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BoubouBomber

Yarn

Hi I have a question, you see all theses flies description with yarn, such as polypropylene yarn or antron, etc, fly of the week at flyanglersonline as one nowFly with yarn Where do you get your yarn?? I was at my local wallyworld recently, didnt see much that looked good enough to make flies with, I havent been to a flytying shop recently, do you get it there?, seems to me you could get a lifetime supply at a kniiting/craft store for cheap?? what about strips of carpet?

hi boubou bomber,i live in the uk and use poloypropolene yarn,we get several different brands ,we can get stuff under the wapsi brand ,so i would imagine you could get it from a good dealer over there,try my friend mike hogue at eflytyer.com

I usually get yarn (nylon, polypropylene) at a craft or fabric store (Michaels, Joann). I have not found Antron or Z-Lon I like outside of a flyshop. I like the small skeins of nylon yarn for parachute posts, you can unravel the yarn into smaller strands, and can generally find quite a selection of colors.

Also in the craft store, but not Wal-mart, you can find rug yarn for hooking rugs and sometimes it is shinier.

hi, i tend to agree with wynot,the proper yarn can be split down to quite a small size ,for wing posts etc ,i use it on trico patterns for the wings ,but also you are looking for the floatability of the material as some patterns dont have hackle to help them stay on the surface