Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Parker

What do you use for color for your flies??

I've been using Sharpies for the present work but I'm having a really hard time getting colors to blend and they soak up into area I don't want them too?? I'm thinking of investing money in a bunch of new markers I'm that disappointed!( I have about 60 sharpies <_< )

I'm looking at kurecolor!

What do you all use for coloring your flies??

I know there was a post on the general fly tying area, but its important to me to know what the realistic guys use!

If your willing to share with me??

Blessings,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy:

I always use permanent marker edding 404, with thin and thick.

Just use: yellow (fundamental), brown and black, the other colors like red, green, etc.. are for details.

I hope you serve.

Greetings !!!!!

Sergio

Promarkers work well for me. Don't forget to get the blender.....you can add color and tkae away bits you don't want or shade from dark to light with them.

You can get them in every color you will ever need. Additional plus...they have 2 tips, one fine and a broad one.

Greets Paul

Good Day,

Well... I use a lot of different things. Would I be wrong in assuming you are in the US? If so, and depending on where you live, you may be slightly limited in what you can purchase in person at say, Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, Jo Ann, or another craft store. If you have a "high end" graphic supply store near you, you may have some more options. Then again, there is always the internet.

First let me say the previous suggestions bear merit. Those are great products and suggestions. However, with care and practice you might be able to get away with prismacolor markers. For more detailed work I prefer "brush markers" like Faber Castell's PITT artist pens. I also use very fine paint brushes with acrylics and or modeling paint like Testors. While at one of these craft stores look for a book about coloring/rendering with markers. I still have mine from my college days and studying Industrial Design. We also used things like rubbing achohol, acetone, q-tips, toluene, Goof Off and so on (use many of these in well ventillated areas!). So really, I almost hate to say this, but experimentaion will eventually bring you to your favored application... ;-)

Steelie