Fly Tying
FlyFanZach1985

Discount Tying Materials

First off, hello to everyone. This is my first thread and I have only been here a couple of weeks. Love what I see! Anyways, as my wife and I walked through a craft store the other day I started realizing that you can get some really great stuff for fly tying in them. I ended up going back and spent about 9 dollars. I picked up two lrg ostrich feathers, two peacock eyes with a bit of hurl, a bag of pheasant body feathers, a lrg bag of white saddle hackle and 4 pieces of 12x18 2mil foam. I am all for supporting local fly shops but some of the prices are a little high for me. Just can't swing some things from the shop on my budget. Now another resource that I have used before is the zoo. Most zoo's have a peacock or two along with a host of birds that all molt their feathers. Call them up and ask them if they collect them or if it would be possible for you to collect them. I have gotten a ton of useful feathers from my local zoo, and I can tell you, they were glad to be rid of them. Hope that this helps those with wallets being squeezed, or not squeezed for that matter.

Tight Lines,

Zach

hey Zach,

I get a ton of stuff from the craft store. Also call your local taxidermist and see if they have any spare or cut of skins of just about anything they have. Just yesterday I called and they have some zebra and lion waiting for me.

Yeah you can really find some deals at the craft stores. They also generally have a good selection of boxes and containers for hooks and beads and such. Also i agree that alot of these fly shops are a bit on the high side when it comes to cost. I try to help them out when i only need an item or 2 but any big orders i make i do online.

Road kill, dollar stores, my sister has a business changing thrift store fur coats that are moth eaten into trim on other items. She sends me the scraps. My favorite stonefly nymphs I make from the belly fur of deer mice I trap in my basement. And then American Science Surplus - great catalog - and sometimes you can find so really good deals.

I also once asked a petstore to save their birds that croaked. I got a nice cockatiel that way.

The idea of zoo and taxidermists is interesting. What are the (I would imagine there are) requirements for having something like lion fur? Does just a receipt saying where you got it do?

I have a friend who workes security at the zoo. Some pretty amazing stuff. Also, if you hunt, or have friends that hunt, that's a great source for Grouse, partridge, woodcock, etc, not to mention deer, bear, and so on. I've got a whole deer hide waiting for me to pick up from a friend right now. It pays to look around.

the anti static bags that cpu pieces come in make very nice bodies or even flash. bernat which makes yarn, makes a product called disco fur-makes lovely leeches.

marc

Thanks for adding in the taxidermist idea. I totally forgot about that one and my wife's boss does it on the side. I have a ton of stuff from him. If you don't know a taxidermist call one up. If they won't give the scraps to you they will normally sell them for really cheap. Unless you are tying some huge flies or are doing bulk orders the scraps will last you a long time too. Good tying and tight lines everyone.

Zach

My wife scrapbooks so I been in and out of a few scrapbook stores. Great place for different size and colors of beads and markers. I like the copic markers they work well in fly tying plus you can turn the copic markers into an air brush for foam poppers or divers. My 2 cents.

Thanks for adding in the taxidermist idea. I totally forgot about that one and my wife's boss does it on the side. I have a ton of stuff from him. If you don't know a taxidermist call one up. If they won't give the scraps to you they will normally sell them for really cheap. Unless you are tying some huge flies or are doing bulk orders the scraps will last you a long time too. Good tying and tight lines everyone.

Zach

Don't forget furriers, I have a great supply of scraps that I got just by walking into fur shops in a city and asking. Turned out that one of the shops had an owner who was a flyfisherman and I returned later for more with some of my fur bodied flies in hand for his next outing. :) Clean, soft, premium materials.

First off, hello to everyone. This is my first thread and I have only been here a couple of weeks. Love what I see! Anyways, as my wife and I walked through a craft store the other day I started realizing that you can get some really great stuff for fly tying in them. I ended up going back and spent about 9 dollars. I picked up two lrg ostrich feathers, two peacock eyes with a bit of hurl, a bag of pheasant body feathers, a lrg bag of white saddle hackle and 4 pieces of 12x18 2mil foam. I am all for supporting local fly shops but some of the prices are a little high for me. Just can't swing some things from the shop on my budget. Now another resource that I have used before is the zoo. Most zoo's have a peacock or two along with a host of birds that all molt their feathers. Call them up and ask them if they collect them or if it would be possible for you to collect them. I have gotten a ton of useful feathers from my local zoo, and I can tell you, they were glad to be rid of them. Hope that this helps those with wallets being squeezed, or not squeezed for that matter.

Tight Lines,

Zach

Thanks, Zach. I make a point of using craft shops and also wrote to a nearby safari park here in england about buying feathers and they sent me an extremely large bag full for no charge so as you say always useful to look around as the cost of materials is Not going down.