Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Bubby's Pa-Ta-Sa Getta

This bug was originally tied fifty years ago by Tony Accardo down in Raceland, Louisiana and was known as Round Dinny; Tony has since passed on but his son continues to run the business. Anyhow, the Round Dinny was/is my friend Capt Bubby Rodriguez’s all-time favorite Pa-ta-sa fly. Pa-ta-sa is cajun (French-speaking settlers from Acadia in what are now the maritime provinces of Canada) for perch. We call or grew up calling our bluegill/bream “perch” and the Cajuns called them Pa-ta-sa.

The Round Dinny was such an effective bream bug that the drug stores and bait shops that carried them were always sold out. Bubby was so fond of this bug that he would drive down to Raceland and purchase them by the card directly from Mr. Accardo.

Bubby has always called perch pa-ta-sa where-as I being a little younger and not cajun - not sure if he is either - called them perch.

In naming my version of Tony Accardo’s Round Dinny, I settled on something to honor my good friend who swears the Round Dinny is the best bream bug ever made. It is his favorite go-to Pa-Ta-Sa getter. Not sure if that's how you spell patasa.

Kirk

Thanks guys.

Curtis, try this link directly to the cork balls. If it doesn't work, go to the root address and just hit the different links in the side bar. I'll tell you, they usually don't have everything in stock and when they do, the shipment from Canada takes a couple weeks. A few guys and me went in on an order and they didn't have the small size in stock. It took a couple months for them to get them and another few weeks for our payment and shipment.

I've seen some small hard foam ones for keeping live bait off the bottom but they are hard as a rock and nearly impossible to cut a hook slot in.

http://www.corkstore.com/compass/servlet/W...p;NumSelected=2

Oh man, that is FANTASTIC! The painted eyes give this pattern lots of character, and put a smile on my face. This looks like it would be a lot of fun to fish. Kudos, Kirk.

Those look better than the Dinnys you could buy in the store...must be the eyes :bugeyes:

Glow in the dark and forest green and yellow Dinnys are a religon down here.

Thanks fellas.

Panama, the ones in the store are mass produced. Capt Bubby said these are much better than the ones he used to buy cause these are hand tied by a somewhat of a perfectionist. I've done some chart and yellows, I can't wait to have a free evening to go get brim soon.

Thanks,

Kirk

awesome! Looks like lots of fun to tie and fish and definitely has lots of character.

How big a hook are you using? I gotta try to make some.

Also how do you say Pa-ta sa? is it Pa like "Pay" or "Paw"?

Further proof that anything Cajun is just awesome.