Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jbenwa

Pike/Muskie leader help!

Hey guys/gals,

Sorry for the noobie question but with spring just right around the corner i have a question. I have been bit hard by the fly bug and haven't picked up my baitcaster in about a year now. So this winter i started tying my own pike/muskie flys and now just need to figure out my leader set up. I just picked up a 9wt TFO and SA pike/muskie line, we will be fishing for 30-40" pike. just wondering what is the best way to make your own leader and what material to use?

thanks for the help

-John

here are a few of my 1st week flies

IMGP0293.jpg

Those big flies don't exactly need the delicate presentation of a tapered leader. Go with a straight section of Power Pro braid, 50 - 80 pound test. That stuff is really tough and resistant against teeth, but if you need it, put a short tippet of Toothy Critter or some other knottable leader on the end of it. Then tie in a snap for quick and easy fly change - the pike won't be that shy of it.

Deeky

Those big flies don't exactly need the delicate presentation of a tapered leader. Go with a straight section of Power Pro braid, 50 - 80 pound test. That stuff is really tough and resistant against teeth, but if you need it, put a short tippet of Toothy Critter or some other knottable leader on the end of it. Then tie in a snap for quick and easy fly change - the pike won't be that shy of it.

Deeky

Thanks for the help Deeky, what length should i make the leader? 5-6 foot range?

Leader length will depend on the situation. If you are fishing a floating line, it will be determined by how deep you want the fly to fish - deeper water means longer leader. I would probably look at at least 5 feet. If you are using a sinktip or sinking line, you'll probably start around 3 feet, longer if it is really clear water or the fish are pressured and spooky.

At least that's my take on it.

Deeky

hey I like your flies! you should consider posting some of them in the database so I can copy them!

LOL thanks but i have no idea what i have made i just threw a bunch of stuff together that was flashy and gaudy. they are getting a little better each time but most look pretty bad up close! thank god pike will eat just about anything.

most of them i followed this setup.

Stansberry Pike Fly: The Big-eye Bait Fish

-John

Good advice on the leaders by other posters. I was going to say much the same thing.

I do like your flies. Besides being "flashy and gaudy" as you describe them, they also will provide some bulk in the water to put out a positive lateral line response to a predator species. They also look like they contain a goodly amount of synthetic material to make them shed water and easier to cast. This coupled with materials that provide lots of movement in the water signals "I'M ALIVE AND EASY PICKIN'S FOR LUNCH" to the musky or pike you are after.

Good job.

Post your recipes and individual photos in the database please so we can all benefit from your intuitive good sense.

Good advice on the leaders by other posters. I was going to say much the same thing.

I do like your flies. Besides being "flashy and gaudy" as you describe them, they also will provide some bulk in the water to put out a positive lateral line response to a predator species. They also look like they contain a goodly amount of synthetic material to make them shed water and easier to cast. This coupled with materials that provide lots of movement in the water signals "I'M ALIVE AND EASY PICKIN'S FOR LUNCH" to the musky or pike you are after.

Good job.

Post your recipes and individual photos in the database please so we can all benefit from your intuitive good sense.

Thanks ill start throwing some of the patterns up tonight

-John

i use a 3 piece 9ft saltwater leader

its like 30lb-20-15lb then a 5" 18lb mirco leader

im thinking this year im going to use a 40lb-30-20lb combo

the sections are 4'-3'-2'

i think powerbraid would be to soft to be an effective leader for turning over big flies

Last year the leader setup i used was quite simple, i used about 4-5ft of 40-50 mono followed by 60lb fluorocarbon about 2 ft long as a bite leader. I fished up north for Pike for a week and only changed leaders twice was really surprised at how the fluoro held up. This leader setup allowed me to cast 8-10 flies about 50-60 feet easily.

These are awesome! You should have seen what mine looked like last summer when I just got into tying....garbage. Either stripped them down for the hooks, or threw them away because it was so much work to get a little hook off...you have inspired me to catch a pike on my fly rod this summer :D Thanks!

How long are those flies and what size hook is it?

These are awesome! You should have seen what mine looked like last summer when I just got into tying....garbage. Either stripped them down for the hooks, or threw them away because it was so much work to get a little hook off...you have inspired me to catch a pike on my fly rod this summer :D Thanks!

How long are those flies and what size hook is it?

lol yea I just stripped all the ones from the 1st photo down for the hooks and materials. The flys range from 4-8" I have been using the xps #1 or 2 hooks. I sit at work and tie flys all day so I have more than I know what to do with, here are just a few of my pike/bass flys :ph34r:

IMG_3433.jpg