Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RagingBull

silk thread

I have never used silk thread before and i have seen quite a few patterns in the database that calls for it. I mainly use ultra thread or uni and i was wondering what are the pro's and con's for using silk over something else?

Although I am no expert, I will take a stab at this and be interested in hearing what others have to say. For some patterns, the tying thread forms the body itself, and the silk thread has a translucence that some other types of thread may lack. On other patterns, the silk thread gives an underbody color that shows through when the fly is wet and seems to add to its appeal to the fish. I also enjoy attempting to re-create patterns from the past using, to the extent possible, the same materials that were used generations ago. Plus I find the silk thread fun to use and believe it helps my other tying in that using it forces me to concentrate on not making any unnecessary thread wraps. Those are my thoughts, at any rate, for what they are worth.

I agree with what JohnP said. Silk was the traditional thread- it's been used for thousands of years. I use Pearsall's Gossamer silk on most of my North Country flies. It is similar in size to Uni 3/0, with the strength of maybe a 12/0. But it is beautiful stuff. Buy a couple of spools and tye some soft hackle flies. You won't be disappointed.

I tye all of my old world and flymph's with silk as that is what the pattern calls for. Silk adds, to me. a special charter to the fly that nylon doesn't. If you decide to get some silk you need to get some wax. The wax makes the silk more resilient and in some cases adds color such as in the Greenwell Glory.

I only use silk on thread body wets, and sparsley dressed wets. The silk changes color when its wet, and becomes translucent. Its very appealing to fisherman, and its trout appoved. :) Its certanily teaches you to tie better. After silk thread other threads are just really easy to use. I have been using fishhawks in additon to my pearsall, I must say i like it very much. Plus you get tons on a spool. BUT its just not the same as pearsall.