Fly Tying
tmatt26

Summer Job

Okay, I have been fly fishing seriously for about 5 years now and work at a grocery store at home. This summer I was wanting to get a new part-time job at a a fly fishing oriented shop. I know the economy has been not so great, so this may not even be possible.

So my question is this: How do I go about doing this? (I'm just wanting to work there to learn new things.)

Do I just start calling and e-mailing shops hoping to get any sort of feed back?

This site has helped my many times before with fly fishing related things.

Thanks in advance,

Tmatt26

Just start throwing in applications. Are you very familiar with materials and equipment. They will hire you on your knowledge of what you will be selling and ability to sell the right product for any given situration

Due to the tough economic times, finding a summer job at a fly shop may be tough. My suggestion would be to find a local fly shop and offer the owner 2 weeks of your time as a volunteer. This gives the owner 2 weeks of work without you collecting a salary and also gives the owner the ability to see what you are capable of and whether it would be worth it to hire you for the summer. You get to show the owner that you are a hard worker and are willing to work for some experience. After 2 weeks, the owner can hire you for the summer or he won't. Either way, you have gained some experience. You do take a risk as you may not get hired.

Tough times call for tough measures.

Rob

Due to the tough economic times, finding a summer job at a fly shop may be tough. My suggestion would be to find a local fly shop and offer the owner 2 weeks of your time as a volunteer. This gives the owner 2 weeks of work without you collecting a salary and also gives the owner the ability to see what you are capable of and whether it would be worth it to hire you for the summer. You get to show the owner that you are a hard worker and are willing to work for some experience. After 2 weeks, the owner can hire you for the summer or he won't. Either way, you have gained some experience. You do take a risk as you may not get hired.

Tough times call for tough measures.

Rob

That is a good idea. I was thinking of trying to get a part time job at the BPS in the fly fishing section. But they are never hiring :wallbash: