Fly Tying
bluegill576

starting tying realistics

I'v been fly tying for about four years now but I have never tried tying a realistic fly. Could anybody give me some tips on starting such as some basic patterns and what materials are often used. Thanks a lot.

As with all types of tying, start on the simple stuff first. An ant is the ideal pattern, as you can start on a 10, & then as you get happier with your results, scale down & down. You can start it with black thread, some black nylon paintbrush fibres & clear varnish. then change the materials until you find your ideal.

There is loads of info on the screen in front of you now, or at least there will be as soon as you've finished reading this post. Please let's see how you progress by posting frequently, so we can advise & help you.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Your headed in the right direction welcome!!!

I'm a beginner(2yrs) realistic tyer and the crew we have here will help and guide you in the right direction!

Post what your working on and your troubles and they will all let you know what to do or what you can do to improve!!!!

The key is to keep an open mind and all comments are ment to help you develop!!!!!!!!

I started with an ant, to a wasp then a bumblebee a catapillar, may fly,stonefly and on and on and on, right now working on a set of dragonfly wings (will be on this for a while now!!!!this is the fly I want to master!!)

Welcome to the journey of the realistic world of fly tying!!!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Thanks guys for the help. I tryed tying an ant like you guys said, but I had some trouble with the legs. How do you get them to angle? (my camera isn't working so I can't post any pics at the time).

To get the legs to "angle" there are several methods you can use. 1. is with a cauterizer. but it's very easy to over heat them, probably best left until you're a bit more confident as it can be VERY frustrating ! 2. is to use a small flat nosed plier (jewellery, model making, dentistry etc) & bend them before you tie in. This is what I would suggest as your best starting point as you get a feel for the materials properties that way.

There are other methods for other materials that include the use of glues, tyeing knots etc, crimping tweezers (that you'd need to make) but try the plier method & see how you get on.

Use a pair of tweezers that you heat a bit with a lighter. Depending on the chozen material more or less heat will do the trick.

Heated tweezers, grap the material on the desired spot and twist about a 120 degrees....this will give you a nice joint/legbend, knee...whatever.

Greets Paul

Hi

I use the same method as Paul..................I have also heated a bodkin gently and laid it on the joint area that needs the bend. A nylon paint brush bristle or broom bristle bends very easily this way

Be careful as Arkle said................nothing more frustrating than losing half a leg at the end of the tying process. It has happened to me many times

Mike

Hehe.....that goes with the territory ;)

Don't squeeze your tweezers when you heat them....make sure you heat the inside of the tips (and not to much obviously). If you heat them while the tips are pressed together you can grab you material and nothing happenes.....untill you turn the tweezers to make the kink....than the (hotter) outside of the tweezers will melt through the material......but I guess you found that out by yourself now ;)

This experience will make sure this will not happen anymore when you start working on more time consuming bugs.

Greets Paul

This experience will make sure this will not happen anymore when you start working on more time consuming bugs.

Greets Paul

Ya ok!! Hehehehehe I guess I'm the only one thats done that twice then or was it three times :dunno:

A fish will eat those I'm sure!!!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Thanks for the imput. I'm gonna tie some more this weekend when I have some time. I might even try a wasp or two.

I started tying with a beginners class from Charlie - back when he was at RMA in Boulder. I learned to tie wrong handed - and it works out fine for me. But then again, I never knew any different.

Also - Im left handed - so Ive been arsse backwards my whole life...