Fly Tying
djgunter

Barracuda Fly

I'm interested in seeing some ideas or flies already created specifically designed for targeting Barracuda. I have just received an order of EP fibers in about a dozen different colors. I want to create something fun and interesting to tie, as well as being a fish catcher. I'm heading to Malaysia for 10 days and need the flies for the trip. Also, if anyone has any information on fly fishing Malaysia, in particular Kota Kinabalu and Borneo area, I would be delighted to hear from you. Thanks

- dan

Interesting, i have been to Malaysia about 6 times now but never fished - did see some impressive snakeheads in a bucket on a longboat trip into the jungle once. I know there are plenty of interesting freshwater fish.

Now offshore fishing i had some friends who took a charter out once and bounced the bottom for a whole swag of emporer/ snapper type species, they were quite successful and managed a cuda while trolling some large crankbait type lures. I would suggest maybe a tandem hook fly, something with a gereral baitfish profile in the 15cm long type thing. If it were the flats in Aus, i would be throwing a garfish/ pinfish/ needlefish type fly, infact i have seen people using a simple length of green tubing with a hook on the end. Make sure you have some serious wire to prevent bite-off.

Sorry i couldn't be much help, hopefully someone else here has fished those areas and can give you some hints!

FlyFishin'Jam is right, go with wire. Tube lures are very popular for cudas. I have never caught one on a fly but have gotten a lot of them on plugs here in Florida. Any needlefish imitation or longer baitfish pattern will probably work. Just make it flashy and retrieve it very fast. Don't worry, they'll catch up to it.

Thanks for the help. You mean I should strip the fly in constantly? Like in one fast and fluid motion?

FlyFishin'Jam is right, go with wire. Tube lures are very popular for cudas. I have never caught one on a fly but have gotten a lot of them on plugs here in Florida. Any needlefish imitation or longer baitfish pattern will probably work. Just make it flashy and retrieve it very fast. Don't worry, they'll catch up to it.

Thanks for the help. You mean I should strip the fly in constantly? Like in one fast and fluid motion?

Either with quick short strips or you could even put the rod between your legs and use both hands to really speed up your retrieve. That's what I often do for mackerel. However, be careful if you try this because a decent size cuda will rip the rods out of your hand when he strikes. I don't think it really matters whether the retrieve is constant or jerky, as long as it is quick. I have even caught cudas after making a bad cast and retrieving the plug as fast as I could to recast it to a spot and while horsing it in a cuda hits the crap out of it. While speed is a major aspect of triggering a strike, I think flash is even more important. Cudas are one of the main reasons why you don't where jewelry when snorkeling or spearfishing. Leave a flashy watch on your wrist and they are liable to take your hand off.

Agn54 have you thought of putting the rod under your armpit when you do a constant strip, I've seen guys do it when they fish for stripers.

Agn54 have you thought of putting the rod under your armpit when you do a constant strip, I've seen guys do it when they fish for stripers.

Yep thats the method i use when a super fast retrieve is needed, reminds me of using a handline for some reason. Oh one more hint, probably wear some gloves or 'stripping guards' hahaha sounds funny and probably not the best google search, i have had some nasty nasty line burns on my fingers which is very uncomfortable in the salt, i couldn't imagine using those sharkskin lines.

I'll have to give that a try, it sounds more comfortable than bending over with the rod between my legs.

I'll have to give that a try, it sounds more comfortable than bending over with the rod between my legs.

That just sounds wrong man. :bugeyes:

That just sounds wrong man. :bugeyes:

haha! I just realized how dirty that sounds.

when i target the cudas here in miami, i tend to use larger baitfish patterns, and tarpon toads tied in chartreuse, red, or really anything bright will work well. standard "cuda" flies work, but are often difficult to cast. the faster you can strip your fly the better. if it doesnt seem ridiculous and you dont feel stupid, its probably too slow of a retrieve.

bonebum - Thanks so much, thats exactly what I needed to hear. I'm not use to stripping in crazy fast and it does definitely feel kind of wrong when I do it. But now I know better! Awesome

- dan

when i target the cudas here in miami, i tend to use larger baitfish patterns, and tarpon toads tied in chartreuse, red, or really anything bright will work well. standard "cuda" flies work, but are often difficult to cast. the faster you can strip your fly the better. if it doesnt seem ridiculous and you dont feel stupid, its probably too slow of a retrieve.

Here's one other trick that will trigger a strike when you're tossing a fly at 'cudas in shallow water and not using any chum (if you really want to fire them up bring a well full of small live baits and you can get them so fired up they'll hit a fly when it lands...)

The usual routine for a 'cuda on the flats it to follow a fly and not strike unless you're going at flank speed. You can beat the fish at his own game by not working it very fast, just erratic, then watching until the fish approaches. Instead of allowing him to follow, the moment the fish is near - pick up the fly with a long stroke so that it suddenly speeds up and disappears, then false cast once or twice and put the fly out there again. Repeat as the fish comes up and many times you'll never be able to pick the fly up fast enough to prevent a hard strike (and yes, it's fun to watch...). With a long shank hook, and no wire, a very simple fly will get shredded in no time using this tactic. I may have one or two around to photo and post up here. I like a six to ten inch long fly with a single very long grizzly hackle tied in on top, "flat wing" style to resemble a needlefish or ballyhoo....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

Here's one other trick that will trigger a strike when you're tossing a fly at 'cudas in shallow water and not using any chum (if you really want to fire them up bring a well full of small live baits and you can get them so fired up they'll hit a fly when it lands...)

Such a neat trick, even saw in the drake an article on cuda's. They suggested a method which i have used before over deep reefs and almost exactly as you have described Capt Bob. Attach a nice sized live bait and let him swim down, get the cuda pissed off so it smacks the tail, and when he comes around for a second shot have your fly sitting there at the same depth right infront of his face, then hang on.