Fly Tying
breambuster

Uni-Thread Question

Is there a Uni-thread equivalent to Gel Spun thread? I'm looking for something that would be good for spinning deer, tying in hair wings, etc . I'm looking for a thread that you can spin the bobbin and make the string go flat. I'm looking at Uni Nylon thread. It only comes in black & white and can be split to make a dubbing loop, so it sounds like it might work, but the fly shop page I'm reading doesn't say for sure. Has anyone used this t/ Uni Nylon? If so, what can you tell me about it?

Thanks

BB

I have a couple of spools of this stuff 'Uni-Cord' 7/0, seems to be very similar to Giorgio Benecchi's ultra strong thread. Infact almost exactly the same. Was a bargain i got at some sale as it's usually pretty pricey, made in Canada :) Anyway its very strong!

I think I'm missing the point... why do you specifically want a Uni brand thread equivalent to GSP? Just buy Ultra GSP if you want GSP.

I think I'm missing the point... why do you specifically want a Uni brand thread equivalent to GSP? Just buy Ultra GSP if you want GSP.

Thanks for the tip on Ultra GSP. I use Uni-thread for the simple reason that they put a label on the end of the spool that tells you what color the thread is. That is a HUGE help to those of us who are colorblind! Until you've been there, you really can't understand what it's like. But I see that Ultra GSP also has a label with the color printed on it. I have even tried to mark Danville with a sharpie marker with very little success. Their label just doesn't take ink very well. I've got a LOT of spools of thread that I have to ask my wife to help me find the color I want because the spool doesn't tell me. I can't tell red from rust brown or brown from green or yellow from chartreuse, etc, etc, etc, because I don't see red or green. I see the yellow in chartreuse, but not the green so it and the yellow look exactly the same to me. And right now, my wife is out of town for about 10 days, so without the labels on Uni thread I'd be stuck. No tying until she got home.

BB

Wow, that's interesting. Sounds like you need to get a compartment box of some sort for your threads and have your wife help you label each compartment with the color of thread stored in it. Just a thought.

-- Mike

Thanks for the tip on Ultra GSP. I use Uni-thread for the simple reason that they put a label on the end of the spool that tells you what color the thread is. That is a HUGE help to those of us who are colorblind! Until you've been there, you really can't understand what it's like. But I see that Ultra GSP also has a label with the color printed on it. I have even tried to mark Danville with a sharpie marker with very little success. Their label just doesn't take ink very well. I've got a LOT of spools of thread that I have to ask my wife to help me find the color I want because the spool doesn't tell me. I can't tell red from rust brown or brown from green or yellow from chartreuse, etc, etc, etc, because I don't see red or green. I see the yellow in chartreuse, but not the green so it and the yellow look exactly the same to me. And right now, my wife is out of town for about 10 days, so without the labels on Uni thread I'd be stuck. No tying until she got home.

BB

UNI-Cord is a GSP thread. So it's very equivalent...

BB

I'm thinking you could write an earthshaking book if you do some good research for a couple years based on how many fish you catch with flies you have no idea what color they are... Prove once and for all that presentation or other factors are more important than color.

Of course if it turns out that color IS more important, then you'll have a crappy couple of years of research........