Fly Tying
DonH

Popper Painting

Hey folks. First post here. As a quick introduction, my name is Don. I spend the vast majority of my time fishing for bass and bluegill. Just got back into fly tying again after a 10 year or so hiatus.

I am using Perfect Popper bodies to make my poppers. I am using Testors model paint to paint the body with the base colors. I use 3-4 coats. I have then been using Sharpie paint pens to make any smaller detail markings. I let that dry overnight. Then when I try to coat them with Polyurethane, the Sharpie paint runs immediately.

Am I using the wrong paint (Sharpie) or not letting it dry long enough? I'm trying to avoid epoxy because I haven't built a turner yet. The ones I do without anything but base coats look fantastic. It's just the Sharpie paint. Any ideas? :dunno:

Welcome to the boards. For me, I use the Delta Ceramcoat paints. I seal the bodies with at least four coats of all purpose sealer first, then four coats of paint and then four coats of their gloss varnish. This process works for me. I know some on here have used the Testors paint before so maybe they will chime in. I would try using the paint instead of the Sharpie and brush it on or stippled it to make whatever patterns you are trying to do. Let me know what else I can help you with.

Welcome to the boards. For me, I use the Delta Ceramcoat paints. I seal the bodies with at least four coats of all purpose sealer first, then four coats of paint and then four coats of their gloss varnish. This process works for me. I know some on here have used the Testors paint before so maybe they will chime in. I would try using the paint instead of the Sharpie and brush it on or stippled it to make whatever patterns you are trying to do. Let me know what else I can help you with.

I use mostly the same paint. I pick mine up at WalMart, it's like $2 per bottle for the small bottles, and a little goes a long ways. I recently started buying the metallic colors, too, same easy water clean up with a better finish. I definitely use 4 coats of the metallic paint, but the standard paint I usually only need a couple of heavy coats for a good covering. I tend to epoxy coat mine, which can be a pain, but produces a good look and durable coating to protect the paint. I have Sharpied under epoxy and it did not run, so that is an option!

Thanks for the welcome and the answers.

I think I will try using some standard acrylic like you are talking about. I have some already. I'm going to build a turner soon so I can epoxy them. For now, I will keep using a spray of some kind - I guess.

I bought a chrome paint at Lowes the other night. I used it for the base then did the back (top) with black and the belly red. It turned out really nice. Gonna do some more of those using different belly colors - maybe blue and green. Oh, and also used the netting for scales on the chrome layer.

Thanks again for your replies. I've really enjoyed lurking and learning.

Cheap turner? BBQ rotisserie motor, and I pin my flies to a kids pool float (the round ones at WalMart) using alligator clips clamped on toothpicks

post-11211-1299177953_thumb.jpg

Cheap, easy to make and effective

I think I will try using some standard acrylic like you are talking about. I have some already. I'm going to build a turner soon so I can epoxy them. For now, I will keep using a spray of some kind - I guess.

I bought a chrome paint at Lowes the other night. I used it for the base then did the back (top) with black and the belly red. It turned out really nice. Gonna do some more of those using different belly colors - maybe blue and green. Oh, and also used the netting for scales on the chrome layer.

what kind of netting do you use and where do you get it from.

I buy one of those "scrunchies" that women (mostly) use in the shower. They are basically a big ball of netting. The netting is the perfect size for poppers too!

Cheap turner? BBQ rotisserie motor, and I pin my flies to a kids pool float (the round ones at WalMart) using alligator clips clamped on toothpicks

post-11211-1299177953_thumb.jpg

Cheap, easy to make and effective

Cool turner. I've also been looking at microwave turntable motors. They are pretty cheap brand new on ebay.

Two things you could try. First, try a water based Polyurethane. It should keep the Sharpie from running. Otherwise try a Copic marker instead of a sharpie. It is an ETOH based permanent marker. I know people who have used a water based Polyurethane on these with no problem. If you do get a turner and head down the road to using epoxy, the epoxy will run the sharpie as well. I have not had any problems with the Copic Markers.

- Olórin

Two things you could try. First, try a water based Polyurethane. It should keep the Sharpie from running. Otherwise try a Copic marker instead of a sharpie. It is an ETOH based permanent marker. I know people who have used a water based Polyurethane on these with no problem. If you do get a turner and head down the road to using epoxy, the epoxy will run the sharpie as well. I have not had any problems with the Copic Markers.

- Olórin

Olorin,

Thanks for the reply. I may try the Copic marker route.

You may know what I was talking about, but just in case, these are Sharpie paint pens not permanent markers. To be honest, I don't know if they have an acrylic, enamel or other kind of paint in them.

- Olórin

Olorin,

Thanks for the reply. I may try the Copic marker route.

You may know what I was talking about, but just in case, these are Sharpie paint pens not permanent markers. To be honest, I don't know if they have an acrylic, enamel or other kind of paint in them.

Just looked online. Apparently they are oil based.

Another option would be to coat them with a water based head cement. Or something like Aleene's Fabric Fusion but you will need a turner for this also as it takes longer to dry than epoxy. Leaves a nice clear flexible coating though. Most of the Sharpie products run when coated by the majority of stuff we use. They run when you apply Sally Hansen's nail polish also.

Another option would be to coat them with a water based head cement. Or something like Aleene's Fabric Fusion but you will need a turner for this also as it takes longer to dry than epoxy. Leaves a nice clear flexible coating though. Most of the Sharpie products run when coated by the majority of stuff we use. They run when you apply Sally Hansen's nail polish also.

Yep, learned the hard way on the Sally Hansen's as well. I'm leaning toward trying to build a turner this weekend and using epoxy.

Yep, learned the hard way on the Sally Hansen's as well. I'm leaning toward trying to build a turner this weekend and using epoxy.

I second the rotisserie it will have you up and running in minutes, you can also find battery operated ones for portable tying.

I buy one of those "scrunchies" that women (mostly) use in the shower. They are basically a big

ball of netting. The netting is the perfect size for poppers too!

Can you only use the netting if ur spraying the paint on??