Fly Tying
DonH

Popper Painting

Thanks for the welcome and the answers.

I think I will try using some standard acrylic like you are talking about. I have some already. I'm going to build a turner soon so I can epoxy them. For now, I will keep using a spray of some kind - I guess.

I bought a chrome paint at Lowes the other night. I used it for the base then did the back (top) with black and the belly red. It turned out really nice. Gonna do some more of those using different belly colors - maybe blue and green. Oh, and also used the netting for scales on the chrome layer.

Thanks again for your replies. I've really enjoyed lurking and learning.

what kind of netting do you use and where do you get it from.

I buy one of those "scrunchies" that women (mostly) use in the shower. They are basically a big

ball of netting. The netting is the perfect size for poppers too!

Can you only use the netting if ur spraying the paint on??

That's all I've ever done. But it is really easy to do. Wrap it tight and spray from a foot or more distance away is how I get the best results. My thinking is the fine mist is more similar to airbrushing and doesn't "gook" it up with paint.

This is my very first finished popper. Not perfect by any means but a good start I think. Also not the best photography. But you get the idea.

post-30751-1299205409_thumb.jpg[img/]

Spraying from a can is the same as 'airbrushing'. Just a different mechanical system. Automobile, or house, spray painting is also airbrushing; just on a grander scale!

The netting that is used is sold in fabric stores as a netting material for wedding gowns and veils, and is available in different 'mesh' sizes. In addition to wrapping it around the body to be painted, you can stretch it in an embroidery hoop and spray through the stretched material. If done right, the scales can be made to 'feather out' down the sides of the bug.

perchjerker

Spraying from a can is the same as 'airbrushing'. Just a different mechanical system. Automobile, or house, spray painting is also airbrushing; just on a grander scale!

The netting that is used is sold in fabric stores as a netting material for wedding gowns and veils, and is available in different 'mesh' sizes. In addition to wrapping it around the body to be painted, you can stretch it in an embroidery hoop and spray through the stretched material. If done right, the scales can be made to 'feather out' down the sides of the bug.

perchjerker

Absolutely! The embroidery hoop method is great. I know spraying from a can is the same as airbrushing. I was just pointing to the fact of backing it off to get a finer spray. If you get too close the scales don't come out as good or the netting will get gooked up with paint and mess it up when you pull it away (if you have used the wrapping method). Everyone, I am sure knows that, but I was just making the point for conversation purposes.

I have been using Copic markers for some time now and they are fantastic. Copic also has an airbrush attachment for their markers that allows you to turn a marker into an airbrush when using netting for special effects. I just got a new set in yesterday and will be working on a review of the markers and airbrush system. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

I have been using Copic markers for some time now and they are fantastic. Copic also has an airbrush attachment for their markers that allows you to turn a marker into an airbrush when using netting for special effects. I just got a new set in yesterday and will be working on a review of the markers and airbrush system. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

That is pretty cool. Look forward to the review.

perchjerker

Absolutely! The embroidery hoop method is great. I know spraying from a can is the same as airbrushing. I was just pointing to the fact of backing it off to get a finer spray. If you get too close the scales don't come out as good or the netting will get gooked up with paint and mess it up when you pull it away (if you have used the wrapping method). Everyone, I am sure knows that, but I was just making the point for conversation purposes.

Sorry that I missed the point. You are absolutely correct about placing the netting around the body. It can make a horrible mess!! Learning the proper distance to spray from seems to be the hardest thing to learn; but it can be done with a little practice.

perchjerker

perchjerker

Sorry that I missed the point. You are absolutely correct about placing the netting around the body. It can make a horrible mess!! Learning the proper distance to spray from seems to be the hardest thing to learn; but it can be done with a little practice.

perchjerker

No biggie! I am going to make one of the embroidery hoop setups. It seems so much easier than trying to keep that mess straight in a wad. I've been looking at airbrushes lately is kinda what made me bring that up. Thinking about buying a setup in the near future. They are actually pretty affordable.

I'm honestly not begging for praise. I would like to know what some of you guys who do this a lot think. I know it is not award winning, but what do you think of the first one I posted? That is chrome with black on top and red on the bottom, hackle and flash.