Fly Tying
breambuster

Float Tube Question

Do any of you guys ever use a float tube for fishing? I have access to a cove on a large southern hydro-electric reservoir. There is no way I would ever get out on the main body with it, but I am thinking about getting one to fish that cove. How hard is it to cast out of a float tube? What is the danger of the thing flipping over? I had hoped to buy a boat this Spring, but I'm not having any luck finding a good used one that I can afford, so I'm thinking about bream fishing that cove out of a float tube. What about the flippers you can put on your feet? Are they really that important?

I would like to use some of the great flies I'm coming up with from this forum.

Oh BTW, I'm 62 years old, and have a bit of a spread if those are matters of concern when using a float tube.

Take care

BB

I'm curious to see what people say I have been debating getting a float tube myself. I also have another question to add how tough are the float tubes the water i fish is loaded with trees and logs. curious to know if they are somewhat puncture proof

I fish lots of lakes from march through the end of june always from a float tube. I am 6'6", and 340#. Because your center of gravity is so close to the water it is almost, not totally, but almost impossible to tip over a float tube once youare in it. They usually have a bladder inside a fairly puncture resistant fabric base. I have had mine for 5 years, I use it 10-15 times per year and have had no troubles with leaks or other troubles.

As far as casting I think it takes a little getting used to because you are so close to the water to start with, but the 2 biggest advantages to being in the float tube are in my opinion both related to casting. #1 you have nothing to interfere with your backcast because there is nothing to snag behind you except water. #2 I live in Colorado, so I always have to deal with wind. In a float tube you can always position yourself in the best possible place to combat the wind for a desired cast.

Fins are ESSENTIAL, and in my opinion are more important than the float tube. I had to spend more on a float tube so that I could get one rated for my weight, but the only way you can move around in that thing is with fins. If you have decent fins you will have no problem getting around wherever you need to go.

I have known people who get out in big reservoirs with just their float tube. It has plenty of storage and unless the water is really cold I find it very enjoyable to be in the float tube and on the water for up to 4-6 hours at a time as long as I stuffed some PB&J into the pockets.

Hope this helps.

C

For sure get yourself a decent set of fins, without them it will take a bunch more kicking than anyone should put out. I will on occasion go without fins on tiny little ponds that I fish from time to time but that is very rare and only because I am mostly sitting with my feet on the bottom and not much water to cover. Don't be afraid to get out on the water if there is not a ton of boat traffic. I have can and will spend in excess of 10hrs a day on my tube and have been all over some very large bodies of water. As for stability I don't worry about it in the least. I have been known to stand in the seat to get a good look around for tailing carp (but I do not recommend that).

Kennebec Float Tube

That is the tube I have and it's been faithful to me for about 4 yrs now and I think may need to be replaced this year. Although I have never had the least bit of a problem with mine I will be replacing it with a Super Cat. After plating with one of them at IFTD show in Denver I have got to own one. Here is a link to the Super Cat site.

Super Cat Float Tube

Steve

I have used float tubes for years. They are pretty hard to flip over you have to work at it. No matter where you are on a body of water, you would want to keep an eye on the weather. The most likely problem would be that you could get around out by a strong wind. I have never felt I was in any kind of danger, the constant paddeling necessary to combat a stong wind would be your biggest problem. You would have to judge your physical condition and exersize caution.

As for floatation, most tubes will support about 250 to 300 lb so it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Most companies have "evolved" the float tube into a "U" or "V" shaped boat rather than the old donut shaped round tubes. These boats will hold you a little bit higher out of the water. They are only slightly less stable than a float tube. They are easier to paddle around in, and I do like them better.

I purchased a pontoon boat in the late 1980s, and have never gone back to a float tube. These boats are very stable, easier to cast from, and can be setup with an electric trolling motor for power. My pontoon boat (a Water Otter,) has a set of oars, and I have floated rivers with it, and used in on lakes both large and small.

I am older than you are by a good 5 years, and still get my boat out (with the electric these days,) as much as I can.

Here is a link that will show you some (not all) of the types from some manufacturers.

You can PM me with any questions.

correct me if im wrong but isnt there alligators in sc? thats the last watercrraft that ide wanna be in haha. :crazy:

My current oldest tube is 30+ y.o.. An old stream designs donut. How has it lasted so long? Some sewing on the cover and truck inner tube. (actually second one of those, which has had a slow leak for the last 6 or so years, but I can fish 2 trips before I need to boost her back up to max. float-ability. I still use this tube stillwater, especially when the wind blows. Very low profile and less impacted by the wind.

My latest u-boat style is an outcast fishcat. The fishcat has pvc bladders. If you can afford the fatcat I would recommend it as it has urethane bladders which are more, shall we say, durable. Spiny fish and these types of bladders do not get along well. Many keeping fish will utilize a floatable fish basket. I just sink a metal stringer deeper than the chain goes for added "comfort" and excercise caution.

Kick fins are an important consideration and I use vented divers fins. Considerably longer fin than "float-tube" fins. Yes, they are 30 y.o. too. The backstraps are just about dry-rotted they are so old. Gonna have to do something about that one of these days. :lol:

Since you are getting a rather late start I would recommend a u-style boat, best bladders you can afford and float-tube fins. Some designs claim you can walk forward with them on. IDK, never tried them out.

I would also highly recommend you get a pfd for safety sake.

Float tubing rivers & lake. The best kind of fishing there is, along with wet wading a river!

I'm curious to see what people say I have been debating getting a float tube myself. I also have another question to add how tough are the float tubes the water i fish is loaded with trees and logs. curious to know if they are somewhat puncture proof

I am curious too, i recently picked one up cheap at bass pro along with some fins, now i know this spot in the middle of no-where, a small spring fed lake with a little creek running out, its full of brookies, but the water looks completely black due to tannins and background, and it is also completely full of wood and sticks.

I think i would absolutely freek out if i was paddling around and brushed up against a log or something, i'd walk on water. The thing is, its a mystery lake with no information about it, it's not even on a map, i have no idea of the depth. Just scares me somewhat making the 'plunge'. Someone should come and slap me and tell me to 'get in you....'

Hey, Guys, thanks for all the good info on float tubes. I'm really thinking seriously about it, now that I've heard from all of you. It would be WAY cheaper than a boat, not nearly as much trouble about launching, trailering, etc. And I would be fun to be able to paddle around this cove and toss some flies at 'gills. What I did last summer was just to wade out to anywhere between knee deep and waist deep and cast along the bank. But to be able to cover more of the water would be a lot of fun.

Now, a couple of things. First, Sniksoh, yes, there are some "gators" in SC and some really big ones. But they are all in the low country, along the coast. The lake I'll be fishing is in the "Upstate" in the foothills of the mountains. Not much danger of running into a 'gator that far inland.

Hairstacker, that was an awesome video. As I watched I couldn't help but wonder, was the guy pulling in the fish, or pulling himself out to the fish?

Now, for a couple of questions. Do you guys who use float tubes wear waders? And someone mentioned a life vest. Do you guys wear a life vest or just have one along, just in case?

Thanks

BB

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/produc...fault.aspx?id=3

best bet for your money. very well made, pretty good customer service snd you sit up pretty good for casting purposes. only word of caution do not carry deet products on you. it will eat thru the the outer shell of any water craf causing a complete failure which is why many fly shops do not carry the stuff. I have one of their original fish cats and still have the bladders. it has never ripped or had a bladder failure. there was an instance last summer here in ottawa where the owner forgot he had deet in the pocket and it leaked causing a catastrophic failure. he was ok and outcast replaced the fishcat for him as they were apparently aware of what could happen but did not put in their safety warnings. they were a wee bit sheepish/

marc

i dont hear much people talking about float tubes these days. I love mine, casting is nice and spacious, mine is comfortable holds me good, i usually dont even wear a life jacket.. i wear my waders when in mine, until it gets too hot since my waders are rated for cold water, once it gets hot i wear shorts.

I can go anywhere, any body of water, and pack it on my back for a portage.

Dont skimp on the flippers, there essential. Now the downside to float tubes are, boaters can be spooky and alot dont seem to care about you. and if you have to pee and your wearing waders you have to paddle back to get out and pee...

Float tubes are wonderful and i highly recommend having one..

Fun posts

Love my float tube - an old truck innertube style about 15 years old. I always wear a pfd - especially given that there is plenty of storage on the float tube. Waders depend on the water temp and the time of day. If I'm float tubing towards evening in just shorts I've ended up with leeches.

My only complaints are all my fault - I always dunk my cell phone (have to bring it for work) and while tipping over in the water is almost impossible, I'm quite clumsy when getting into the thing and entering the water (or getting out). I've 'tipped over' in 1 foot of water more than once.