Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Polarbear78

Swap Question

I like the whole swapping idea....I've already been a part of a few...but my question is, when you're tying up so many of the same fly, is it frowned upon to change up the color pattern you use as long as it's the same pattern? Just curious...I've always made all of the flies the same I send in... but sometimes I want to do a variety of colors...more fun to me than tying up all the same color.

Thoughts?

i dont see why you cant tie the same fly in different colors. go for it!

ive done it in past swaps and everybody was ok with it!

I don't see any problem with it also. If your in a swap where your tying about 12 flies maybe you can do 3 sets of flies, every 4 flies are different colors. But I would just put a post in the thread see if anyone cares.

I don't see any problems either, after all it is essentially the same fly. Like NJ All Day said, I would post a thread to make sure no one cares just to be nice, but I guess at the end of the day only you and the SM will know that you tied them in a variety of colors :ph34r:

Just me, but I think the flies should all be the same. Is it okay to tie 12 parachute Adams, 4 size 16, 4 size 14 and 4 size 12? Or 12 beadhead pheasant tails, 4 on a standard hook, 4 on 2x long and 4 on 3x long? I suppose I might tie up one or two variants if I ran out out of #14 hooks and substituted a #12 or #16 for one or two flies, but really I think the idea is to try to treat each recipient the same. I also end up tying 14-18 flies for a 12 fly swap, as I think it takes a few (and it varies) attempts at the start before I have the rhythm and dimensions "flowing" right. In the end I guess it's up to you and why you do swaps. For me part of it is the developing discipline it takes to consistently tie the "same" pattern over and over. I Like the results I see in my own fly boxes.

I agree with professori. As someone who has hosted swaps I think everyone should get the same set of flies. If you want to vary the pattern tie a few extras for the SM or for your own fly box. AK Best says he doesn't really know how to tie a pattern until he has tied 100 dozen. Now that is "discipline"

Just me, but I think the flies should all be the same. Is it okay to tie 12 parachute Adams, 4 size 16, 4 size 14 and 4 size 12? Or 12 beadhead pheasant tails, 4 on a standard hook, 4 on 2x long and 4 on 3x long? I suppose I might tie up one or two variants if I ran out out of #14 hooks and substituted a #12 or #16 for one or two flies, but really I think the idea is to try to treat each recipient the same. I also end up tying 14-18 flies for a 12 fly swap, as I think it takes a few (and it varies) attempts at the start before I have the rhythm and dimensions "flowing" right. In the end I guess it's up to you and why you do swaps. For me part of it is the developing discipline it takes to consistently tie the "same" pattern over and over. I Like the results I see in my own fly boxes.

I agree with not changing it for little dry flies...

I'm not meaning change the hook size and different types of materials...I was thinking more along the lines of say in a streamer swap, or say a bass bug or pike swap....Sure, they will all be on the same hook and same pattern, just different color variations.

Being an "undisciplined" tyer myself, I find tying for swaps a good way to force myself to do the same pattern many times. Yes it gets a little repititious, but I find that I get better with that, and most times, the first few end up in my "reject" boxes. Those are the boxes I get to fish with.

I can see your point on large streamers, switching out black and olive chenille or marabou may not matter, but as a heads up, you should let the swappers know. Then if there are no objections, feel free.

I agree with not changing it for little dry flies...

I'm not meaning change the hook size and different types of materials...I was thinking more along the lines of say in a streamer swap, or say a bass bug or pike swap....Sure, they will all be on the same hook and same pattern, just different color variations.

Again, I think you send the same fly to all participants. my 2 cents.

I think for something like a bass or panfish fly swap you could change the color, but I wouldn't want the size to be changed.

I will be honest, the primary reason I have joined so many swaps is it forces me to tie a lot of different patterns and I learn a lot about materials and techniques. I also get to share patterns that I know from other tiers. I am a firm believer in that it takes dozens of repetitions of the same pattern to get it right. I start with larger sizes to get the proportions and the techniques worked out. Then I go small. However there is always that but. Adjustments must be made for size, availability and the time frame. It is some what addictive to put yourself on the “hook” to tie patterns for those whom you really don’t know. But you do get to know a bunch of great folks along the way!!!!!

Frank aka Student4evr