Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
clemmy

SILVER French Tinsel??

I'm wondering, as I don't see it listed on any site. I know that vintage Salmon fly tinsel had genuine silver. Does it still? I know mylar type products like Flashabou are vapor deposited aluminum. Are the "French Tinsels" actually genuine silver plated? I know they say that they are laquered so as not to tarnish, but since they don't say genuine silver I'm unsure. This of course might vary over brand (Uni, Doak, Waspi, Larguntan, etc.) Does anyone know for sure if any are REAL nsilver plated anymore??

Thanks!

Clemmy

Your best bet would be to ask the individual sources. French Tinsel, used to be metal with a silver plating, and yes it was laquered to keep it from tarnishing. But it still usually tarnished in time. You also have to keep in kind that platings can vary, and did on tinsels, even genuine silver or gold, just like they do on jewelry.

Clemmy, I don't know if anyone is still making it. But you can get it. Lots of people deal in vintage materials. I have lots of it in several sizes in gold and silver. I do use it and often. It is just fun to use. I used to tie full dressed flies and came across someone who was selling a collection. I bought all their tinsel and lots of feathers. I don't do full dressed flies anymore, so I sold most of the feathers but I kept all the tinsel. are you looking for some or just curious?

MWL