Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

mallard flank

hey all, i was jusy wondering if anyone has tied any productive streamers that use mallard flank, i got a bunch of olive and brown dyed flank from a friend and alot are very long, i usually only tie in size 10 or 12 any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Druce

i too, have had tons of mallard flank. what i do is i tie original bucktail patterns and then substitute the bucktail with the mallard flank. another idea is to tie wooly buggers with a folded over back made with mallard to kind of look like a wiggler.

i hope this helps

You could tie the Hornberg Special Streamer in various colors. They can be tied on small or large hooks.

Zoo cougar uses mallard flank.

And it's going to come out anyway, so, I'll recomend you to the pattern database here and you can browse by material. Under 'Feathers' is Mallard Flank, and I think that gave me something like 7 pages of patterns (not necessarily all streamers). Look at those and either tie them or use them for inspiration.

I love Mallard flank and Bronze Mallard. I think I need to do some duck hunting this fall - I've bought and I've gotten some harvested wild feathers. Feathers straight off the duck beat the massed produced baggies hands down.

Deeky

The Hornburg uses them. Great over looked fly that can be fished wet or dry. Mallard makes great shiner streamers.