Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nate_Turner

Chest waders

I'm new to the fly fishing game I'm looking for a good pair of chest waders around 200 bucks. Any tips or info would be great. What are better the ones with the boots or the ones with out the boots???

Nate.

I'm new to the fly fishing game I'm looking for a good pair of chest waders around 200 bucks. Any tips or info would be great. What are better the ones with the boots or the ones with out the boots???

Nate.

I purchased a pair of Cabelas breathable waders for around $130 a couple of seasons back, and they are great. I prefer the stocking foot, as I have troublesome feet and need good arch support, which I fear some of the boot-foot models may lack.

name='JohnP' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:46 PM' post='457911']

name='Nate_Turner' post='457869' date='Mar 12 2011, 12:03 PM']I'm new to the fly fishing game I'm looking for a good pair of chest waders around 200 bucks. Any tips or info would be great. What are better the ones with the boots or the ones with out the boots???

Nate.

I purchased a pair of Orvis stockingfoot waders 2 seasons ago and never had a problem with them. I fish year round and get out a few times a week, most weeks. So for the price, Must say i got my moneys worth out of them. As for choice of boots, I have the korkers guides series boot and i just love them b/c of the interchangeable soles you can get for them. Also, these soles are great if you fish any rivers with rock snot didymo stuff. And can change from felt tooo rubber in seconds.

Also, I like Cabelas stuff b/c of their warranty.. I have returned a few pairs of leaky waders in the same year i purchased them and they gave me new ones no questions asked. So they do stand behind their products 100% in the first year..Don't know about what they do if it's over a year old.. Sorry, b/c my waders never lasted that long. and I have now switched to the Orvis line of waders..

I was also told, LL Bean has a great warranty also on waders. And Dan Bailey has good service as well...

Now Simms..Don't think you can get them under $200.00.. Also haven't needed to test them out yet.. But i was told by friends you either love them or hate them..Sometimes you get a great pair and get many seasons out of them, Or other times you get a pair that sucks.. But again great warranty and customer service..

Now bootfoot over stocking...

I'm a big fan over the stockingfoot. I just like the option of buying a lighter, sturdier boot, with better ankle support then the ones that come with the bootfoot waders.

Now the few things i did like about my bootfoot waders are.

1.The boots keep your feet warmer in the dead of winter.

2. No lace system to ever worry about. ( lacing a boot in the winter sucks!!)

3 .Simple, just step in and out of them.. And the boots dry quicker..

I use Bass Pro waders. I've had them for almost two years and never had a problem with them, so i don't know about the warranty. I have also heard good things about the cabelas waders, but have never tried them.

ok I see you asked about waders and our preferences well something you didn't ask was breathable or neoprene on my late fall _ early spring waders I use a neoprene boot footed thinsulated chest wader that is by RedHead great set of waders 5 years old only had one leak in the seam between the legs and the repair kit that came with the waders fixed that no problem now for late spring to early summer I use a pair of cabelas breathable stocking footed and I have had to replace them 3 times the past 6 years but my boots are Korkers and they work great just remember to clean the felt soles really well before switching waters to help prevent hitch hikers from mid summer to late fall wet wade is by far the best helps keep you cool and God already gave you the legs just go buy a cheap pair of river shoes

Thanx guys for all the info keep it coming. Another question what about sizes I'm 6ft and about 275. And take a size 12 boot. I didn't think about asking about neo or the other style.

Thanx guys for all the info keep it coming. Another question what about sizes I'm 6ft and about 275. And take a size 12 boot. I didn't think about asking about neo or the other style.

Well, i would go into a store and try them on. Never mail order your waders if you want them to fit properly on you. Unless you know how that companies waders fit you already. As for the boot, get it one size bigger for your thick winter socks. Bring your winter sock to the store as most stores have a neoprene sock you can use to see how the fit is with both socks in the boot..

Good luck..

Hodgman rocks!!!!!!

I bought Hodgman Wadelite breathable stocking foots. They went bad. I bought a pair of Lakestream and they went bad. I returned both pair to Coleman and they sent me two brand new pair.

I also have a pair of Patagonia's that I have used for years and like them also. I wear lined pants under them in cold weather.

I had a pair of Orvis Pro Guides and after a few years the got holes in them. And i'm not talking one. Its was dozens of little pin holes everywhere. I sent them back. They where supposed to fix or replace. I got neither.

Then I took my money and got the Cabela's Pro Guide and I love them. Also got there Gortex Wading Jacket. Great stuff! I like the stocking foot for more support.

Kevin

I had a pair of Orvis Pro Guides and after a few years the got holes in them. And i'm not talking one. Its was dozens of little pin holes everywhere. I sent them back. They where supposed to fix or replace. I got neither.

Then I took my money and got the Cabela's Pro Guide and I love them. Also got there Gortex Wading Jacket. Great stuff! I like the stocking foot for more support.

Kevin

Thanks for the info..I was looking at the Gortex wading jacket and it looks like a great product in the catalog. But i'm waiting until i can get to the store and try one on. Just don't know how long or short the jacket will be on me. :dunno:

breathables + 34 degree water=miserable day and pneumonia

First of all that's silly. Your temperature or that of the weather has nothing to do with you getting sick...especially pneumonia.

In Colorado, where I believe we know a thing or two about cold water and flyfishing....almost everyone (except the out of staters) uses breathable waders. They are lighter and simply easier to move in and you won't need a "winter" pair of waders and a "summer" pair of waders....who the heck wants that? They also dry faster.

Simply wear long underwear and fleece pants (with or without stirrups), wool or high tech fabric socks and you will be toasty warm throughout your lower body. Now your fingers.....that's another story!

-Searching

(in the Home of 34 Degree water :) )

I prefer the stocking foot . That way I have choices on the foot wear I chose to spend the day in . Just like quality hiking boots can make or break a day on the trail so can a pair of wading boots make or break a day on the water.

As far as getting sick from cold temps, in or out of the water that simply depends on how you dress. Getting to warm in a pair of neoprene can be just as bad as being to cool in a pair of breathable. Either way you need to dress so you don't freeze or sweat .

Just went out for 12 hour strait Sat. Started the day in the upper 20"s and ended in the upper 30's . Wool pair of socks , long johns and a very lightweight pair of fleece pants kept me completely warm.

If the water is 36 degrees then that's the temp your lower part will feel. Up top if the air is 36 degrees ,wind at 15 and you are sweating , or get a little wet from the water that can make you even colder then they bottom that is at a pretty regulated temperature