Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gaeronf

Record Fly Tying.

Sorry if my bumps are annoying, I'll stop.

yes it is and please do!

instead of bumping this thread, sit down and think about what is needed to make fly tying videos.

watch some tying videos and see how they position their camera (oops theres a hint). do they point it away from them or at them.

you'll probably be seeing the fly being tied so there must be some kind of light source (oh shoot, another hint)

hopefully that will get you started

You can buy a really cheap table top tri-pod or if you can't afford that, use a bean bag to set the camera/video on to position it. Or, get someone in your family to hold it and video you. If you want it from the tier's perspective, hang he camera from around your neck or duct tape it around your head on a hat or something, etc.

Kirk

probably just position a webcam opposite you while you tie :dunno: I think that's what most Youtubers do. One suggestion, if you do this, wear a solid shirt with no graphics, a white one for a dark fly and dark one for a light fly. This will make your tying much easier to see.

I agree with agn. Definitly need a solid color shirt and decent lighting. Nothing is worst than trying to watch a fly tying vid and you cant see whats going on because there isnt enough light or it is zoomed out too much.

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. A small cheap tri-pod should work. You should be able to find one in any mall or superstore. Most of the videos I've watched have the camera point at the tier. Position the camera so it is not so close that you can't see whats going on. Watch a few videos on You-Tube you'll understand what I mean. Dave Cammiss "LearnFlyTying.com" and his son produce some nice videos. I think he has the camera hanging around his neck. For now a web cam should suffice. If you decide to get serious though you may want to look at upgrading in the future.