Fly Tying
breambuster

Float Tube Question Redux

After reading all the replies to my previous Float Tube Question, and after doing a lot of research, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do something else. I have also researched kayak's and was pretty sure that was what I was going to do until I saw one. I went to Bass Pro yesterday (Saturday) and looked at their kayaks, and pretty well ruled that out. I don't think that's the way an old man should go. So I headed to the fly fishing area to see if I could track down the float tubes to take a look at them. And just as I walked into the fly fishing area, right there, just inside the door, on the floor was an inflatable pontoon boat. I was surprised when I saw the price. $199.95. A salesman walked up and he was older than me, and about the same size as me. He said "They don't make float tubes big enough to fit us." We got to talking and he has a pontoon boat just like the one I was looking at. He uses it to bream fish with a fly rod. He answered every question, and I liked the looks of the thing. And at that price, I can afford to get a couple; one for me and one for the wife. She loves to fish! But not with a fly rod. Spinning rod & reel, worms, slip float. And she catches them! I asked the guy about flipping it over, and it said it thought it would be pretty near impossible. He's never heard of anyone flipping one. Sits higher than a float tube or a kayak. Said the seat needed padding, so he sits on a cushion-type PFD. He replaced the set base with a swivel seat base and no matter how he turns, it's stable on the water. Not as fast as a kayak, but he said he uses his just to ease along the bank flipping flies at bream. Sounded good to me.

Here's a link: http://creekcompany.com/product.php?produc...=254&page=1

Disregard the price on the link. The salesman said that $199 was their everyday price.

Comments?

BB

BB even though I don't have a float tube and or a Potoon like you listed, but if it were me I would say go with a pontoon. Also you being a little older I would suggest the Pontoon. I like, I always want one but that's a dream at the moment. But I say get it! The float tube would probably be easier to control but the pontoon is probably easier to cast from. I'm sure other people will give you better opinions.

I would go with the pontoon as well. I've had one for a few years now and I have no complaints. Just make sure you get one with good weight capacity so that you can take all the gear you need to have a comfortable day on the water.

He said "They don't make float tubes big enough to fit us."

Comments?

Well I will start by saying that sales man didn't know what he was talking about or he was trying to up sell you. I use a float tube and I am 6'4 370lbs and i bought it from Bass Pro. But anyway the pontoon tubes are great and if you have no problem getting it to your area they are great to fish from. we hike a lot of the spots we fish and would be real tuff to bring in a pontoon or i would have picked one up a few years ago! For the price you can't go wrong! :headbang:

I personally would go with a pontoon boat over a float tube. I dont want My feet dangeling down for some slithery creature to take a bite outta My skin. but I've looked at bps, and the only prices I've seen for the link you've shown show the same prices roughly. must be an in store price

You are making a good choice. Pontoon (kickboats) are the way to go these days. As the write up on this one says, you can even get a motor mount for an electric trolling motor for it. I find rowing one of these easier than paddeling. I only paddle to maintain position when fishing or for minor movements. When I decide to change locations, I will either row, or use the motor.

I have been out in some pretty rough water, and never felt like I was in any danger of flipping. I might get splashed a little, but I usually have a rain jacket with me, so that isn't a problem either.

Not sure what age has to do with either choice. Both require work in the water. Out of the water the float tube will probably take less effort to man handle. I floated the day on the Gunnison in the exact same model of pontoon you are looking at and it worked fine.

Tube or pontoon I don't think you can go wrong either way.