Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kcnal

Dubbing - How to get that full "buggy" look

Hi all!

I've read through a number of the existing posts on dubbing techniques but seem to still be having some trouble. I understand that a lot of it may be based on dubbing material, etc., but I seem to have a tough time getting that "buggy" look. Mine always tends to "wrap...i.e. take on a chenille look" rather than the full buggy look I'm hoping for (such as in a sow bug, etc.). Any obvious tips you can throw my way....

Thanks,

having you tried brushing it with a piece of velcro or a toothbrush after you dub it?

Squirrel dubbing with it dubbed loose. Then pick it out with your means of doing so.

Agreed.

I bought some of those velco dots with the adhesive backs and put them on a tounge depressor and brush that against my dubbed flies to get the "buggy" look. and like you said the type of dubbing does make a difference and squirrel is a good dubbing for the look your looking for.

Depending if you are a hunter or not, try and "harvest" some squirrels (legally please) and try and make your own dubbing!

Technique can make a big difference. I find I can get a lot shaggier look using a dubbing loop and not twisting it quite so tight. Also, particularly if you are using synthetic dubbings, too long of a fiber tends to have fewer stray ends sticking out when you wrap it. Cut it down to 1/4 - 1/2 inch lengths.

Deeky

Technique can make a big difference. I find I can get a lot shaggier look using a dubbing loop and not twisting it quite so tight. Also, particularly if you are using synthetic dubbings, too long of a fiber tends to have fewer stray ends sticking out when you wrap it. Cut it down to 1/4 - 1/2 inch lengths.

Deeky

I second the dubbing loop.

Deeky, I routinely loop dub 1 - 2 inch pieces of synthetic fibers for making big heads on my streamers using the following technique, I didn't come up with it, forgot where I first saw it used. Anyway, I pinch the loop just below the section of material and spin he loop twister pretty tight. When the loop below your pinch point is twisted pretty tight, let the pinch go and pull down on the dubbing twister tool simultaneously; all of the twists that were below the pinch point shoot up through the material and instantaneously twist the loop so fast that the materials don't have a chance to slide around or mat up. Its the only way to do deer body hair too.

Of course, if you already do this, disregard the suggestion.

Kirk

Here ya go! This is basically what these guys are doing with a dubbing loop. This is using synthetics, but works the same way with any material. This is a post by Steve P on this site. Great stuff!

How to:

I second the dubbing loop.

Deeky, I routinely loop dub 1 - 2 inch pieces of synthetic fibers for making big heads on my streamers using the following technique, I didn't come up with it, forgot where I first saw it used. Anyway, I pinch the loop just below the section of material and spin he loop twister pretty tight. When the loop below your pinch point is twisted pretty tight, let the pinch go and pull down on the dubbing twister tool simultaneously; all of the twists that were below the pinch point shoot up through the material and instantaneously twist the loop so fast that the materials don't have a chance to slide around or mat up. Its the only way to do deer body hair too.

Of course, if you already do this, disregard the suggestion.

Kirk

Thats an interesting technique. I dont use a dubbing loob all that often but next time i do i might have to try that.

antron of some other spikey looking dubbing also helps as well. if what your trying to use looks soft like cotton, thats just a filler, or something to add bulk to patterns. you need a dubbing thats got lots of guard hairs in it, or a synthetic dubbing that has a spikey look n feel to it. try some antron dubbing and you'll see what I mean. Or if you have a hares mask, cut some of thicker guard hairs n blend your own dubbing. you'll see what I mean when you do that.

I ditto the brushing out. Recently I opted to try something different so it could get into tight spots. I had some velcro tape from a project around the house. and taped that onto a plastic knife blade. Now I can get it in just about any hook size thanks to the narrow tip and depth of the knife.

I'd also suggest not being bashful with the brush. Often times I see people using a dubbing brush like they are affraid they are going to hurt the fly. I've found you do not have to be bashful with the brush - get in there and have at it! Give it a several stroke scrub, look it over and continue if needed. Amazing how well that will work.