Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Polarbear78

getting excited for trout!

First time trout fishing. not sure of the entire plan yet, but gonna road through northern Michigan for a week with a couple buddies. Been busy tying up all kinds of patterns. Quick question though, when you have a wet and dry fly on the line, do you have the dry fly out farthest and then the wet fly, or vice versa? Thanks.

First time trout fishing. not sure of the entire plan yet, but gonna road through northern Michigan for a week with a couple buddies. Been busy tying up all kinds of patterns. Quick question though, when you have a wet and dry fly on the line, do you have the dry fly out farthest and then the wet fly, or vice versa? Thanks.

You will have a blast...

Sorry, I'm a little slow and don't get what you are referring too? :dunno:

You will have a blast...

How people will put multiple flies on there line at one time...a dry and wet fly....do you have your dry fly on the end of the line and 12-18 inches behind it (closer to you) the wet fly? or vice versa?

You will have a blast...

How people will put multiple flies on there line at one time...a dry and wet fly....do you have your dry fly on the end of the line and 12-18 inches behind it (closer to you) the wet fly? or vice versa?

the dry fly is supposed to be closer to you, and the wet fly on the end of the leader

You will have a blast...

the dry fly is supposed to be closer to you, and the wet fly on the end of the leader

Thanks, I tried to look it up online...but I saw variations of it being done both ways...

I believe the principle behind the dry/ wet set up is to use the dry fly as an "indicator" with a hook...kinda like when you used to bobber fish as a kid...I could be wrong....it does happen on occasion... :hyst:

Here is some info from Google for you..Fly fishing a Dry-dropper Rig...

A dry-dropper rig is a fly fishing combination set-up utilizing a dry fly, that also functions as a strike indicator, and a nymph or beadhead that trails behind the dry fly. Traditional dry fly fishing is a visual endeavor and can often more exciting than nymph fishing. But if an angler wants to net more trout, fishing subsurface flies is an essential skill, since 90% of a trout's diet is subsurface insects.

Hope this helps you out!!

I use droppers alot. I will tie on a foam hopper or and and put a size18 nymph or soft hackle on it. I tie the dropper in at the hook bend of the dry fly. It will suprize you at the results ya get. Also the length of the dropper line wil just depend on the depth you are wanting for the wet fly.

Thanks! I found some great youtube videos by Gary Borger....hoping that watching them and asking my "dumb" questions will help cut down on the learning curve for trout fishing....

Let me recommend a book if you don't already have. "The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing". The book will answer a lot of questions

Thanks! I found some great youtube videos by Gary Borger....hoping that watching them and asking my "dumb" questions will help cut down on the learning curve for trout fishing....

The only dumb question, is the one that is never asked. Sorry... I couldn't resist. :wallbash:

Rich - That's exactly what my Daddy used to say.

That's one of the great thing about this site - You can ask any question, and always get an answer. You don't have to worry about being made fun of.

Rich - That's exactly what my Daddy used to say.

That's one of the great thing about this site - You can ask any question, and always get an answer. You don't have to worry about being made fun of.

Good to hear. Probably will be plenty more :D

good luck on your trip. I know im looking forward to my 6 days off work and on the stream trout fishing up in the mountains when the season opens middle of april.