Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pujic

It's Snowing!

Well for the first time this season I saw snow flying through the air, and a flurry at that. sad.gif A gentle reminder that the season is almost over. With temperatures below freezing during the day, and well below at night (which comes before 5:00pm) fly fishing becomes a tad difficult.

Guess that means fly tying season has officially begun. Those who have not yet had any white frozen fluff flying by, get out on the water while you can! wink.gif

Nick

Nick,

Stop saying that dirty four letter word LOL. Have had it for the last 4 days on and off it isn't sticking yet but I know it will.

Can't start tying yet till PT is over, broke my thumb and joint again so had to start all over.

Fatman

Season over because of a little cold&snow?! rolleyes.gif Pujic you big sissy just pull your gloves out'a your purse and keep fishing tongue.gif

Winter Steelheading is a way of life around here man it can be some of the most peaceful trips of the year when theres fresh snow on the ground.

SD

Brings back memories of trout fishing on opening weekend in New York. I remember shaking the rod to break the ice on the guides. If you folks up north want a reprieve from the snow and ice, we have trout fishing all year in Tennessee. Check out www.hiwassee.net for our local TU chapter and info for fishing. Also, check out the photo gallery and several double digit brown trout caught in the Hiwassee River. Fished Saturday and C & R'd 12 fish;my friend C & R'd about 20 fish. River runs from North Carolina and then west into extreme southeast Tennessee in Polk county (as far south and east you can get and still be in Tennessee). headbang.gif

No sympathy here Nick. wink.gif We've got 12" on the ground, and the temperature hit -10F (-23C) the other day, so any water that is still open is closing fast. The good news is they are flooding the hockey rinks today!

Yeah, we're lucky here. I live on the Western side of Washington (There is an Eastern and Western WA, which are like two totally seperate states). We're divided by the Cascade mountain range. They're getting cold and a bit of snow on the Eastern side. But here on the Western side, we don't get snow until Jan/Feb, and then rarely do. If we do, it's for a day or so. But there have been years of LOTS of snow. But compared to the Midwest/East coast, we get nothing. I prefer it that way. LOL. But I have spent MANY a days steelheading in the freeze and snow (we get more freezing temps then we get actual snow).

Steve,

Easy there! LOL I said almost over tongue.gif I love Winter steelheading but a lot of the waters around me have closed so to get to fishable water I have to trek a ways and in the Winter it's not too much fun. Not to mention a lot of these areas are very close to Lake O which makes them susceptible to lake effect crap, making it bitterly cold.

I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not cut out for this climate! LOL Carl, I feel for ya man!

as a coloradoan displaced in california i miss the first snows and the rivers all to myself when all others start thinking about skiing. rolleyes.gif

Did I not read in one of the fly fishing magazines about snow trout.Cant rember which one but I cant wait to do some Ice fishing this year.More and more waters are being opened.I also live very close to a tidal river that is full of Brown Trout,that can be fished any time of day or night.No sport fish can be kept after the season is closed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this