Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullship

Carpin' Toad

Been playing around with an idea. It's not quite right yet, but i think I'll get it figured out.

DSC05826.jpg

Thanks guys. My theory is(I don't really know what I'm talking about) that common carp are either cannibalistic or very protective of their fry..... I don't know. I just think it's more than 'carp love crayfish'. Everytime i throw something predominantly orange they charge the fly on the drop, even from a few feet away at times. They're usually not spooked, and they move with intention. So, I guess my real theory is that I can throw anything orange on a #8 hook and they'll eat it. I'll find out in a month or so......

Thanks guys. My theory is(I don't really know what I'm talking about) that common carp are either cannibalistic or very protective of their fry..... I don't know. I just think it's more than 'carp love crayfish'. Everytime i throw something predominantly orange they charge the fly on the drop, even from a few feet away at times. They're usually not spooked, and they move with intention. So, I guess my real theory is that I can throw anything orange on a #8 hook and they'll eat it. I'll find out in a month or so......

That theory works for me , anything orange seems to work the best with small and black second.

I second the Orange comment! They are aggressive toward Orange

I third the Orange comment!

Yesterday, I casted to more than a dozen carp with a brown fly and only had one eat. Last night after remembering the comments about orange here, I tied up some Scorpions with a fl.orange tail and the same brown body. Well, let me tell you unless something happened to align the moon and stars last night, they certainly prefer orange. The same fly except with an orange tail turned one in every three or four fish I casted to and I hooked three fish and missed several takes, all in less than an hour.

Here is a link to a short video my ameteurish self tried to create.

Thanks so much for the orange comment!!!

Kirk