Fly Tying
oatka

Prepping Poppers

At the present time Wapsi packages Mustad Signature CK52S hooks with their hard foam cupped and bream poppers.

It may well be that they also currently package other Mustad Signature hooks with their other style poppers.

Thanks for all of the information. I'm at the stage in my popper tying where another finishing option is welcome.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm getting ready to do some poppers myself. What type of paint/clears are you guys using? Thanks again for all the info.

While freshwater tiers are doing such great work on their poppers, guys that fish the salt and are in a one popper one fish situation might head in a different direction. I tie good numbers of bugs for one shop that are destined for snook, tarpon, and other fish that are really hard on poppers. At one time many years ago I carefully handpanited cork headed bugs but eventually got away from it. These days I use a lot of soft foam heads (also from Wapsi) buying the heads at 100 per size when I can get them. Here's a few pics of a pattern called the SpeedBug.

All are on #1 Mustad 34007 hooks (the heads are only rated for #4 hooks in the Wapsi catalogue if I remember correctly) and as the name implies are quick to turn out. They're deadly on tarpon up to about 20lbs in the backcountry if you keep them talking slowly. I tell my anglers that the first strike will be a miss, if they keep it moving the second one won't miss..

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-1300915532_thumb.jpg

post-30940-1300915551_thumb.jpg

post-30940-1300915564_thumb.jpg

Capt Bob, beside that they're used for Tarpon, do you use a larger hook with those heads for any other reason? I ask because I've always felt the hook size recommendations were incorrect & that the heads were too big for the hook sizes recommended. Those & most preformed popper bodies being sold will usually float a hook that's a couple of sizes larger than what's recommended.

I like my poppers to sit lower in the water in the surface film, I feel it's more natural looking, and the fish can grab it easier than one that's floating up on top the water. I like the bigger hook too in most cases because I feel I get a better chance at hooking up & I like big poppers. I'm primarily fishing for LM Bass, SM Bass or Striped Bass & Bluefish when I use big poppers up here in MD. I appreciate your input on this!

Have to agree with you on the size thing with popper heads. I try to use the largest hook the popper will support (and that includes a few failures that never worked the way I'd hoped.) I was taught to start with a hook that has a gap that's roughly the same size as the head itself. Saltwater tyers have other considerations as well since many of the really nice Stinger type bug hooks designed for bass in freshwater will get turned into a pretzel by the fish we're tossing them to. We also have to stick with a stainless hook since otherwise you'll be tossing them out after one day on the salt, no matter how thoroughly you rinse them in freshwater... it's all worthwhile though when a nice fish (tarpon, snook, speckled trout, redfish, and many others) make contact with the bug and things get interesting.

With the soft foam heads I find one other item that's needed in the equation and that has to come from the angler. These type heads work the best if the rod tip is actually in the water when you're working the line by hand. If the tip is above the water there's just too much slack and give in the rod tip to work the bug properly (having the tip in the water also eliminates the wind as factor, an added benefit.). We also try to do without any "shock tippet" if possible since the bug just performs better with a lighter leader (in my case "lighter" means straight 20lb fluoro...).

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay