Fly Tying

Hello fly tying lovers!!

I have to admit i don't fly fish or fly tye. But of course i'm sure you have all heard the new thing is for people to put the feathers

( grizzly rooster ) in their hair.

I hope you all can help.

I was wondering what would be the major companies that distribute the long grizzly rooster feathers. Because the demand for these feathers have grown, the prices have also increased. I am trying to get a large quanity for wholesale price.

If anyone has history of the feathers or just some input on websites or locations (NH or MA) where i could get these feathers please let me know.

Thank you!

-Laura

post-32285-1300383759_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1300383773_thumb.jpg

Due to the hair art/fashion, most of us that tie flies cannot get them anymore. The breeders for these birds only breed enough for their usual sales to fly tyers and until the next batch of birds are processed in 2012, there just isn't going to be many available. Many of the breeders are taking their stock and selling it in much smaller packages now to try to stretch it out a bit. I have 4 local fly shops that are all out of these feathers and they are on the lists for more but cannot get them for their shops. They know the best distributers for buying them wholesale and they just aren't available. Usually they have a dozen or more full saddles on the shelves, not anymore......

Sorry for the bad news but for us that tie flies it isn't a real pleasant topic as what you are using are the feathers from chickens that have been breed for decades to get these long feathers for fly tying. They are some of the best feathers in the world for our craft and we can no longer get them. Most of us just want this use to end but it's a fashion that seems like it's going to stick around for a while. It's hard for a breeder to anticipate this sort of demand. Most of these feathers come from full grown birds so they are having to decide if they will raise a larger number for two years from now or is it just a fad that might be gone by the time they have this larger batch to sell.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck finding what you want than most of us have had. When we do find them, they are at prices that are almost twice what they were this time last year. It's a bummer. The prices have been so high that many of us are selling off part of our private stashes but that's not wholesale.

Oh wow, i knew about this recent craze and how demand is far more than supply but i never expected the hair salons to join this forum and start asking where they could get hackle. I am sorry i can't help much with wholesale purchase of these materials, i am sure someone here may be able to help tho? I was looking for some at my local shop to actually tie some flies with but what i wanted was out of stock.

They will not sell to you at a wholesale level. The fly fishing industry does a very good job to protect there local fly shops. I wish this fad would hurry and go away, It is hurting my ablitiy to tie orders for my customers.

carlp

I recently saw a small bunch of grizzly feathers listed on Ebay, about the same amount as in the photo, per color that featherleelove posted, that had been bid up to $68 with a few minutes left. I didn't watch to see how high it went. Remarkable!

Hey, I know it's a pain for some tiers not having what they need. I remember going through the same thing many years ago, but only because the supply didn't meet the fly tying demand at that time, but it will likely change, and for the better. I hope the suppliers are making plenty of money, enough to keep themselves in business for many years. :)

I just looked at the prices on ebay and what they sell the extensions for is pricy. laura, as stated, you will not get alot of help here. many flyshops are now refusing orders from the fashion industry for the hackles becuase they know they will be one time customers versus tyers who will provide many years of business potentally.

marc

feathers....in your hair?!?!?!?! :hyst:

Don't knock it!

I make streamer/wetfly earrings and salmonfly earrings and make some good money on them!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Just think, though. In a year or two the fashion will be something else, and we can get all our hackle at Goodwill for a dollar :yahoo:

Just think, though. In a year or two the fashion will be something else, and we can get all our hackle at Goodwill for a dollar :yahoo:

Amen to that but in the mean time don't think you'll get to much of an inside edge here..... I wanna tie flies not put the crap in my hair and look like a damn fool.

Steve

Glad to hear it Steve, since it is mostly a girl thing. It wouldn't match your hat anyway....

The cleaning process for feathers meant for tying, is not the same as you might expect for your hair.

97036064_XS.jpg