Fly Tying

That's what (to me anyway,) is the worst part of this whole thing. The increases in prices, or the inability to even purchase the heckles is bad enough, but to think that a couple of years worth of perfectly good usable hackle will be thrown away. What ever happen to recycling?

Then perhaps war is not the answer. :rolleyes:

Seems to me that a bit of tolerance & understanding towards the salons & hair dressers, might yield a benefit in the end. If they understand that there may be a market for the hackle afterwards, they may not want to throw them away! ;)

Recycling can be a good thing sometimes! :)

Then perhaps war is not the answer. :rolleyes:

Seems to me that a bit of tolerance & understanding towards the salons & hair dressers, might yield a benefit in the end. If they understand that there may be a market for the hackle afterwards, they may not want to throw them away! ;)

Recycling can be a good thing sometimes! :)

I like where ur head's at! Peace n love that's all can't we all just get along =) I have a feeling this new trend is just at its peak.. people and salons are catching on... I feel like is will become constant. So let's start the breeding of the roosters! Haha

Really, I think the whole problem goes back to Dog the Bounty Hunter. Most entertaining part of watching was trying to identify the feathers he was wearing in his hair in a given episode. There were GP tippets, Amherst tippets....

But seriously, can't the hip chicks find something easier to supply, like Vagazzling? Guys would probably find it a little more exciting to look at and it would leave the feathers for the tyers. Everybody wins!

Deeky

Just think, though. In a year or two the fashion will be something else, and we can get all our hackle at Goodwill for a dollar :yahoo:

Nope they will just throw them out.

Unfortunately that is the dead truth...

peace and love....... get along.....??????????????

We're fly tiers here ma'am, not hippies. I threaten my two young boys lives if they get to close to my tying things. On a slightly more serious note though... wish you all the best with your little hair thingy but to be honest I will say you can get over the fact that you can actually get these feather from anywhere other than the few major suppliers that are out there and believe me their supply is exhausted for the most part. The birds that produce these feathers have been selectively bread for so many years to obtain the quality of feather that we are looking for that there is no way to get it from some standard barnyard variety chicken. So your request has thus been denied, there is not really a place to get them, we are not hiding anything. The demand you all have created for them (ridiculous and ignorant as it may be) has already depleted the available supply for both of us in the market.

Steve

I don't wanna "play nice and get along"! I'm at the stage in my tying where I am finally where I can convince my wife it's cost effective to buy a whole cape or a saddle and these bozos come along and screw everything up. I don't give a rats patooty if they will forget about hackles in a month or two, or a year or two, and we "MAY" be able to get hackle for a song and a dance. The big breeders are doing what they can they say...more power to em! Make as much as you can now, myself, I'll find an artificial hackle or just stick with cheap crappy india or Chinese hackles. Screw "Dog" ( wannabe native) and the "featherheads" Just my not so humble opinion, just like butts...everyone's got one and everyone else's stinks...LOL!

I don't wanna "play nice and get along"! I'm at the stage in my tying where I am finally where I can convince my wife it's cost effective to buy a whole cape or a saddle and these bozos come along and screw everything up. I don't give a rats patooty if they will forget about hackles in a month or two, or a year or two, and we "MAY" be able to get hackle for a song and a dance. The big breeders are doing what they can they say...more power to em! Make as much as you can now, myself, I'll find an artificial hackle or just stick with cheap crappy india or Chinese hackles. Screw "Dog" ( wannabe native) and the "featherheads" Just my not so humble opinion, just like butts...everyone's got one and everyone else's stinks...LOL!

Dang man, don't hold back, why don't you tell us how you really feel! :hyst:

I wish i would have stocked up on euro saddles.... Ebay they are bid up to over a 100 bucks for one. These featherheads are nuts :hyst:

I don't wanna "play nice and get along"! I'm at the stage in my tying where I am finally where I can convince my wife it's cost effective to buy a whole cape or a saddle

Capes are readly avaible, hairdressers are only after the saddles. They don't like the feather length on the capes. Should not have a problem if yuo want to buy a cape.

carlp

I was wondering how long it would take before some girl posted here asking for feathers.

Hopefully, both sides of this idiotic argument will get over it soon. Tyers, if you want dry fly hackle buy neck hackle. Girls (and creatures that want to look like girls), if you want feathers in your head, pay the obscene price.

We need to make sure that the girls and women who are putting these feathers in their hair REALIZE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE GETTING KILLED FOR THEIR FEATHERS. (I don't care that they're dying for the feathers, I hunt, fish, and trap. I just want the feathers for us, not them.)

These same women will not wear fur because the animals are dying just for the fur. MAKE THEM REALIZE it's the same with these chickens and many of them will stop buying them.

Kev

<><

We need to make sure that the girls and women who are putting these feathers in their hair REALIZE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE GETTING KILLED FOR THEIR FEATHERS.

These same women will not wear fur because the animals are dying just for the fur. MAKE THEM REALIZE it's the same with these chickens and many of them will stop buying them.

Kev

<><

Your animal rights activist point of view is a pretty good idea. Although coming from fly tiers it would make us hypocrites. :coffee:

We need to make sure that the girls and women who are putting these feathers in their hair REALIZE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE GETTING KILLED FOR THEIR FEATHERS.

Kev

<><

Your animal rights activist point of view is a pretty good idea. Although coming from fly tiers it would make us hypocrites. :coffee:

Whoa!!!! I'm not an animal rights Wacko.......but if being a hypocrite would save the feathers for us......well, I'm OK with that.

Kev

<><