Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j43jacko

Hackle chickens?

when I can get some that taste like Popeye's, and tie like Whitings, I'm gonna be all over it.

Having grown up with chickens, you can safely have more than one rooster in the yard, and not have dead ones laying around as victims of their fighting, as someone stated. Just like the hens, they establish a 'pecking order' and that settles things. They will occasionally get into minor scraps, during which time a few feathers may get damaged; but nothing serious.

"Fighting-to-the-death" is a feature of a very select breed of chicken, just like the 'genetic hackle' birds, and they are highly trained 'fighters'. They are also typically feed certain things to enhance the inclination to fight, according to an acquaintance some years ago who was a practitioner of the 'sport'.

:hyst: :hyst: Good Luck!!!

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys on here know anything about which common chicken breeds have good dry fly hackle? Im getting some chickens this summer and I was wondering what species to buy that produces nice hackle. Thanks

Hi j43jacko,

If you are looking for a good quality hackle raising you own may be a bit of a challenge. The current hackle producers have raised many generations of birds to get the quality they currently sell. I know some of those breeders get SOME of their hackle birds from Murray McMurray hatchery in Iowa. You might do a Google search for them and see what they have to offer. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I lived in Iowa. I bought their "fly tying" chicks and raised them to adults. The hackle is not usable. It is less usable then the old "india" necks we were forced to use when I started tying. What a pain!!! To get something for a fly even as small as a #16, often required using two short feathers for each fly!!!!!

Just enjoy the beautiful hackle available now at reasonable prices. My suggestion, anyway. Good luck.

go to shows for chickens and buy from reputable breeders of the breeds you want, then start breeding and raising and culling for a few years. Then maybe you'll get a few birds for tying. been there done that. Now I just raise for hen hackle and eggs. crossing some breeds for a partridge imitation.

"Fighting-to-the-death" is a feature of a very select breed of chicken, just like the 'genetic hackle' birds, and they are highly trained 'fighters'. They are also typically feed certain things to enhance the inclination to fight, according to an acquaintance some years ago who was a practitioner of the 'sport'.

Just as a side note, this is not completely accurate. Gamefowl (fighting chickens) will, once mature fight and kill each other out of natural (although selectivly bred for) intense aggression. "Normal" domesticated chickens, as mentioned, are not like this. Sometimes "feeders" that condition gamefowl feed them different things to try to enhance their performance but I doubt that anything they are given could increase their aggressive nature.

Sorry, lots of useless stuff locked up in my brain with a degree in Poultry Science.

As to the genetic hackle question, there are quite a few breeders popping up and some of them have some real high quality feathers. You can find some eggs for sale on eBay but like the others said, it is not just a "hobby" unless you only raise a few for yourself. Producing hackle for sale is a full time job!

Look here for some info: http://www.ihgf.org/

Chickens are awesome, raise a few wink.png

I have a rooster that is a "mutt" and hackle., granted, the hackle is somewhat shorter

DON'T PLUCK!!!! Cut with a pair of scissors just above the web.