Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bertgwen

Musky Swap

i have a teaser for you guys... the rear of your flies... i ended up going with olive and orange...

fronts to come tonight....

IMG-20110321-00029.jpg

After looking through my materials and at different patterns I've decided I need to change up my fly a bit. Going to tie a fly based on the Figure 8 from the wetieit.com site. I still had to order new materials and hooks, but I like this direction a bit better than where I was going.

We are still one tier short, I'm going to leave the swap open. If you would, please plan on sending 5 flies. If no one fills the slot I'll send one back. If by some chance we do get the slot filled then we'll be set and you won't get one back.

robert

After looking through my materials and at different patterns I've decided I need to change up my fly a bit. Going to tie a fly based on the Figure 8 from the wetieit.com site. I still had to order new materials and hooks, but I like this direction a bit better than where I was going.

We are still one tier short, I'm going to leave the swap open. If you would, please plan on sending 5 flies. If no one fills the slot I'll send one back. If by some chance we do get the slot filled then we'll be set and you won't get one back.

robert

sounds good.. i have 7 tied... so i can cover... i needed a few of these for myself...lol

Came across the following site while reading up on articulation methods. Lots of ideas, certainly has me rethinking again.

http://pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot.com/

that site has some good ideas... there really is no site that seems to have everything.. its mostly a bunch of smaller sites... I would guess that has to do with the few amount of people that chase pike and muskie with the fly rod.... nice thing about it is that with no one doing it the pattern are just not out there... lets you come up with your own ideas.... u should see the box of flies i have for pike and muskie... i bet i have about 100 tied up of different patterns

I got two more bodies shaped today. Three are painted just waiting on the outer clear coat to dry before working on the tails. Poppers are so much fun to watch come to life.

I noticed the thread looked like this swap switched to closed. Are we just going with 5 swappers or should I go ahead and do up one more? I definitely want one of mine to hang onto as well.

Well...with the recent addition of some new materials...I would be able to do this swap now if you guys want a full line up....just gimme the word and I'll go ahead and get tying!

Polarear, you have your spot back.

To all, swap is full. We are six. If you want one of your own back send 6, if not, send 5.

Love the progress you all are making. I'm still waiting for hooks and materials to arrive here.

Well...with the recent addition of some new materials...I would be able to do this swap now if you guys want a full line up....just gimme the word and I'll go ahead and get tying!

Thanks! I was really bummed when I didn't have materials... I was so excited for this one that I went and bought some stuff!

I got the 6th body finished. Now all are in various stages of the painting/coating/drying process. Then onto the tails. I've got a good idea what I want to with the back half. Picked up the materials at the shop the other day.

A teaser of my "Musky Hula Popper" hanging on my fancy drying rack.

IMG_2479.jpg

I picture that thing smacking me in the back of the head someday. They look great. You shaped them all out of wine corks?

I got the 6th body finished. Now all are in various stages of the painting/coating/drying process. Then onto the tails. I've got a good idea what I want to with the back half. Picked up the materials at the shop the other day.

A teaser of my "Musky Hula Popper" hanging on my fancy drying rack.

Specifically, champagne corks. I used these before but cut them in half before shaping to make some big Smallmouth poppers. I thought it would be cool to leave much of the shape alone since after removal they have a cool mushroom shape to them. This is my first fly using the whole thing.