Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bertgwen

Musky Swap

I like the cork idea for popper bodies... what did you use to actually shape them then?

I used my Dremel to carve out and smooth the cupped face of the popper as well as smooth the surface of the whole cork. I used it to make the groove for the hook shank as well on one, but then I switched to just sawing this out with a leatherman because I liked the results a bit better.

I like the cork idea for popper bodies... what did you use to actually shape them then?

I used my Dremel to carve out and smooth the cupped face of the popper as well as smooth the surface of the whole cork. I used it to make the groove for the hook shank as well on one, but then I switched to just sawing this out with a leatherman because I liked the results a bit better.

hmmm looks like I'm gonna have to start collecting corks now. Thanks for the idea!

1st one complete! Time to take it to the river and see how it does all together. I like it, think this fly will have a lot of life when popped across the surface.

well, after 3 nights of experimental design I think I got one I like! It is gonna be an articulated popper!

Should have the first one completed later today....currently waiting for some glue to dry...I'll post up what I got later...This is by far the longest it has ever taken me to tie a fly....hope you guys enjoy

Another one that looks like it will want to put a dent in the back of my skull. I'm going to have to work on my casting. I've never been great at throwing really big stuff, and it's been some time since I've tried.

Here she is...comes out to about 9 inches

Another one that looks like it will want to put a dent in the back of my skull.

Here she is...comes out to about 9 inches

Isn't it worth ith though when you catch the big one :D

Received a nice set of flies from ctious today. I'm kind of wishing musky season was open right now. They are awesome, and a gentle reminder to get my arse down to the vise.

robert

Received a nice set of flies from ctious today. I'm kind of wishing musky season was open right now. They are awesome, and a gentle reminder to get my arse down to the vise.

robert

glad u like... i forgot to put toe tags on them... sorry...

No problems on the toe tags, with the pics you've posted and the size of the swap, everyone will know whose flies those are.

I got down to the vise today and knocked out two of mine, If I can get a good pic I'll put one up. These are a fun switch from the little stuff.

My 6-yo was in awe when she saw the fisrt one. She has only ever seen me tie trout stuff. It was pretty funny actually.

glad u like... i forgot to put toe tags on them... sorry...

3 down, 3 to go!

I tested this fly in a local urban park pond the other day. It pops loud and pushes a lot of water. If you can cast some weight, you can easily pitch this thing a mile!

People in the park looked at me like I was nuts. There are only small bass in this pond and people rarely even fish for them.

Can't wait to see everyone's flies. All my musky water is blown right now due to recent rains. Maybe by next weekend the water will drop.

Aaaannd done! Now to figure out how to mail these big guys.

bertgwen- can you please pm me your address. Thanks.

Now to figure out how to mail these big guys.

I think I'm gonna use an old VHS plastic case....they fit perfectly into the small flat rate box for USPS...