Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ladyfisher

Good beginners vise?

hello,

I've got a question and any recommendations would be appreciated, what would be a good beginners vise? I don't want to spend more then like 80 dollars on a one....

I saw the orvis one on the orvis website which was 79.99 is this one any good? I really was thinking about getting a small table vise and a pair of locking needle nose pliers to start which comes out to like 25 dollars at lowes... seems like a good idea to see if I truly am going to like tying flies.

Thanks guys and gals,

Lady Fisher :rolleyes:

Bass pro has a kit that has a bunch of tools and a good beginer vise. It only costs about $40. (i'm not sure if it's exactly that)

The site sponsor, J Stockard has vises starting at $6.95. They have three vises at or below $30.00 any one of which will at least get you started. You won't go too far wrong with even the cheapest of these vises. Many of these inexpensive vises, and imported from India or Pakistan. The quality is not all that good, but they will hold a hook and get you through the first several months.

Bass Pro shops also has an inexpensive vise at $19.95 (the Supreme.) It comes with three different jaws, and it rotates. With the extra jaws, you will get longer live out of the vise, since the jaws always seem to be the first thing to go in these inexpensive vises.

Here is a link to that vise:

http://www.basspro.com/Supreme-Rotating-Fl...t/90682/-922329

dont buy a crapy vise to start just to replace it in a year of 2. just my 2C

Look at it this way: Your unsure about your committment to fly tying. You can buy a fairly good vise for say $80. If you don't like it, you can offer it for sale, and loose say 25%, thats $20... or you can buy a vise for $20.00 and sell it for half what you paid for it and only be out $10.

Yes, if you decide to stick with it, you will soon want to upgrade to a good vise.

talk to your ;local shop and find out where there may be a tying gettogethers ot a local flyfishing club where you could attend-I am sure someoen would allow you to try tying out.

marc

Look at it this way: Your unsure about your committment to fly tying. You can buy a fairly good vise for say $80. If you don't like it, you can offer it for sale, and loose say 25%, thats $20... or you can buy a vise for $20.00 and sell it for half what you paid for it and only be out $10.

Yes, if you decide to stick with it, you will soon want to upgrade to a good vise.

Couldn't agree more. I started out with the J Stockard set (vise + tools) for 30 bucks and tied on it for almost a year before I decided it was time to upgrade. It's a real solid kit and the vise alone is probably worth more than you'll pay.

This is my first vise, I like it.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/O...-Tyer-Vise.html

I got this base a bit later and am glad I did.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/O...estal-Base.html

I like that it rotates and the ability to clamp it to a table or place it on top. I've tied 26's up to 5/0's on it.

Happy tying.

- William

I've had mixed experience with some of the less expensive vises. A couple years ago I bought my niece a vise for her birthday and flew to her house to teach her how to tie. The vise was a Terra Silverado that I bought at my local Gander Mountain. That vise failed in less than 15 flies - the pivot pin that the tensioner rides on bent almost immediately. I was pretty embarrassed - she learned to tie on my HMH Spartan and I bought her a new vise when I got home - a Griffin model 2A:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%2...superior_2a.htm

It's not fancy. It doesn't rotate. But what it does do is hold a hook very, very well, and pack down to a tiny size. I've had two of them now and they are great. I've found them on sale for $35 before and kicked myself for not buying more. What I like about it is that it is an inexpensive lifetime vise - there are really no materials compromises on the Griffin, and you'll find a use for it as long as you are tying.