Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Airhead

Tibor Light?

Anyone own one of the these reels?

I'm looking for a 3wt outfit. I checked out the Bauer Superlite, Ross Evolution and the Tibor Light.

I must say the Tibor was the most interesting. The drum type drag kinda scares me though, I'm not really sure it will be reliable.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

I have used various Bauer reels and have loved them all. I fish Lamson most of the time and my 3-wt. is a Teton Tioga. It's light and the drag has never let me down. Good luck!

I use one, but when I first got it, I discovered that the drag didn't work at all. At the time I was out on the West Branch of the Delaware and tried to crank down the drag on a nice brown. Surprize! No drag at all.

I wrote Tibor and they were at first going to send me a new spring but when I asked how easy it was going to be to fit, they had me send it back and replaced it themselves.

They told me the drag was designed to protect light tippets. Well, it did, I suppose. Now it seems to work OK and I have to say that I like the reel. Tad expensive though. I now mostly use a Battenkill barstock. The Tibor gets duty as a backup or when I want to overline.

If you decide to go that way, there have been a bunch showing up on Ebay of late.

I bought a Tibor light and frankly I was underwhelmed. The drag is not adjustable enough for my taste. I have to agree with Houdini on Battenkill Barstock. I bought one for my three weight, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite reels.

Sign in to follow this