Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jackalopehunter

School of Minnows...

Here is whats been in my vice today, tied up a doz 3 each color...criticism welcome, first time tying these guys, never fished em before either.

size 1 unknown make hooks, bought a 20 pack doesnt say what make/model on the bag.

1/30 oz med dumbell eyes unpainted silver. (tried painting a few myself, didnt like the way they turned out so left the rest normal)

ok got red/white bucktail with rootbeer krystal flash.

white/white bucktail rootbeer krystal flash.

blue SF flash blend/white bucktail with "black" (looks more silver on individual strands but bunched together its black) flash.

and brown/white bucktail with the rootbeer krystal flash.

SH nail for head cement.

post-31993-1300958561_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1300958591_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1300958611_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1300958629_thumb.jpg

pretty good and they will catch fish.

You did good not crowding the hook eye with the hourglass eyes.

criticism time:

Use bucktail from the "tip" half or 2/3 of the tail, more towards the end of the tail rather than the base of the tail. It won't flare as much. With this style of fly, it is generally accepted that you want a long streamlined profile instead of a wedge.

On the bottom clump of hair, the first one you tie on, wrap over the hair in widely spaced wraps all the way back to the bend of the hook, then back to the head. This helps with the profile and is an integral part of a CLOUSER Deep Minnow.

Comb out and pull out all the short hairs from the clumps of bucktail before tying in. This also helps with the profile. I like to stack my bucktail somewhat just because I like it that way, but Bob Clouser does not- he just makes sure all the junk is removed.

There are a few good tutorials on line for this style. I'm extremely lucky that I've had The Man himself show me how to tie it.

pretty good and they will catch fish.

You did good not crowding the hook eye with the hourglass eyes.

criticism time:

Use bucktail from the "tip" half or 2/3 of the tail, more towards the end of the tail rather than the base of the tail. It won't flare as much. With this style of fly, it is generally accepted that you want a long streamlined profile instead of a wedge.

On the bottom clump of hair, the first one you tie on, wrap over the hair in widely spaced wraps all the way back to the bend of the hook, then back to the head. This helps with the profile and is an integral part of a CLOUSER Deep Minnow.

Comb out and pull out all the short hairs from the clumps of bucktail before tying in. This also helps with the profile. I like to stack my bucktail somewhat just because I like it that way, but Bob Clouser does not- he just makes sure all the junk is removed.

There are a few good tutorials on line for this style. I'm extremely lucky that I've had The Man himself show me how to tie it.

JS -

Thanks for the criticism, what i was looking for, hi lited in red what i tried doin a bit different, tied one up but misplaced the memory card so pic will be attached later when i find it. think i got it right now :P

anyone else, feel free to add!

Keep in mind it's not going to hurt anything if they're all a little bit different.

Pic attached of how I tie them. They work well for me this way, north, south, salt, fresh, anywhere. In fact, on this example the eyes are too far forward so it's not the greatest example but it has the shape I like.

post-10077-1301000045_thumb.jpg

ok based off feedback, heres version 2.0

used the upper 1/2 of the tail to get a less flared look.

also did 3 wraps spaced appart to slim out the "belly" it.

dont know if you can see the thread as its white on white, but its all the same previous mats.

post-31993-1301044590_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1301044596_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1301044602_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1301044608_thumb.jpg

post-31993-1301044614_thumb.jpg

that's looking very good IMO, and all-white is a universal fish-catcher.

sweet, glad to hear im gettin something right, after the week i had lol (work killin me) now with a better "version" to base it off of gonna whip up another doz or so since the first ones ill be shipping out to dad to do some "feild testing" with :D

Let us know how Dad makes out .

Will he be testing in fresh or saltwater

Henry F.

Oceanfront property in Missouri :j_k: its gonna be freshwater lake of the ozarks and a few local "lakes" around the county, (read very large pond)