Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Which feathers to save?

I am just getting started tying, so I still have a lot of questions about materials. Since my dad is an avid wood duck and turkey hunter, I figure I can get a lot of feathers from him. Question is, which ones should I tell him to save?

Thanks,

-Jim

Hey Jim, (nice name) on the turkey I try to save all the feathers. Because sooner or later you will find a use for them.

Jim

The barred feathers on a woodduck are greaton salmon flies and any of the flank feathers you can use for winging trout flies. I would save the whole skin of the duck if you can because there are lots of neat feathers on them and a turkey as well just makesure that you get all of the meat off the skin, and thoroughly dry it or you will get some funky stuff going on w/ them(bugs stink etc)

QUOTE (DFix @ Nov 9 2004, 10:39 AM)
Both, all.

If it where me I would keep the entire skins. Skin the entire bird. Scrape off all the fat and stretch it out on a chunk of cardboard skin side out using pins or thumb tacks. Spread a liberal amount of equal parts salt and 20 mule team borax. Repeat every couple days until all the moisture and oils have been absorbed. When dry, place the skins along with a Vapona pest strip in a sealed plastic storage box or a large ziplock bag for three weeks. This will kill any parasites or lice that are already on the feathers and whatever hatches from eggs over the next three weeks. Then you can place it safely with your other materials.

Streamside wrote out what I decided not to. Tough part is if you want to keep a bird carcass to roast, the skin is a big part of keeping it together for that purpose.

Yup Dave, you're right about the skin part. Funny you mention that. I have a buddy who gives me the feathers off his birds. LITERALLY the feathers, since he plucks them for eating. So I always get them loose from him.

I'm partial to whole skins too. It's inconvenient to skin a bird you want to cook whole. If all you're planning to do is breast the bird out and chuck the balance of the carcass it doesn't make sense to throw the feathers or skin and wings away.