Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Regal Vise

I've been wanting to get one for awhile. I do not have that kind of money though. So I'm wondering.....Would a regal be worth my saving up time? (I'm talking will I LOVE this vise!!?!?) Thank you all for your time.

-Mark

Save up your money, and in the mean time TRY TRY TRY to find somewhere to tie some flies with one. After a few flies and a few different KINDS of flies, you will know if you love it or if you would have to learn to love it.

Personally, I do not like them nearly as much as a good quality draw collet type vise. I prefer red heads too, and Remington 700s, and I'd rather drink ditch water than any light beer. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I have a brand new Regal Medallion vice for sale. I posted it to the trading floor and it should post any time now. I am asking $200 for it the vice which comes with the bronze pocket base and standard jaws.

Vises are very much a personal preference. Some of the best tyers I've ever met won't use anything other than a Regal. Others won't touch it if it does not say Dyna King. Still others tie on Renzetti, HMH, LAW, Peak, or on an old pair of vise grips.

Save your money. In the mean time, find a shop (might be local, might be while you're on a vacation) that has different vise styles. Or find a way to get to a fly fishing show - watch what people tie on and ask questions. Most folks have been through a couple different vises, and are more than happy to tell you why they chose what they did.

But understand that there isn't a bad choice, or a wrong one. Every vise is a compromise in some way. Every vise has things it does very well, and things that it isn't the best at. Every tyer has learned to work with and around his/her vise to tie what they normally tie. You'll do the same.

The Regal is a very good vise. So are the rest of them. Save your money, make your choice, and tie on it. I'd bet a nice hackle patch that it won't be your last.

I have a brand new Regal Medallion vice for sale. I posted it to the trading floor and it should post any time now. I am asking $200 for it the vice which comes with the bronze pocket base and standard jaws.

I would be interested. I don't have the money at all right now though.

I've tied on a few different vises, but none that I had before a Regal even compared. They were all less expensive, but good quality. I've been using a Regal for over 20 years, and have only one complaint. There are some large size hooks it won't hold, the jaws just don't spread apart far enough. But, I'm talking about 6/0, 7/0 etc size hooks. I don't tie flies on them anyway. However I do tie on large hooks for other purposes, so I have a home made vise for the big hooks. As far as flies, it holds everything I tie with. I don't need another vise.

But, I have to agree with 92Esquire. How well a person likes a particular vise is personal. There are other excellent vises, and if you can try out some of them, then you'll be better able to pick the one that's best for you.

I have a Regal Medallion and I love it. It had what I was looking for when it came time to replace the Thompson Model A I started tying with - ease of use, rock-solid hook hold and the ability to rotate the fly in the jaws of the vise.

As others have suggested, try several different vises while you save your money, then when you are ready to make a purchase, you will know just what to buy.

I have a Regal Medallion and love it.If money is a problem, you might want to look into getting a Regal "clone" for about 40-50 bucks. I bought one ten years ago and it still works great. Only reason I bought the Regal was because the price was right and it had midge jaws.

I have a Regal Medallion and love it.If money is a problem, you might want to look into getting a Regal "clone" for about 40-50 bucks. I bought one ten years ago and it still works great. Only reason I bought the Regal was because the price was right and it had midge jaws.

I agree. I have a Regal now and really like it, but I tied on a cheap Regal clone for 20 years before that and it did the job very well. You can get an Indian made clone for somewhere between $30-50 (clamp model most likely). I bought the Regal standard head and stem for about $140 and use the $30 Griffin base I bought for the old clone. I also agree with the comments about personal preferences, there are so many opinions out there its obvious to me many brands will work fine, its all about your own preferences, so its probably worth trying a few out before you buy a higher end vice.

Tom

Mark, If you currently have a vice, then i would say put the 40-50 dollars towards the regal. It makes no sense why you would buy another cheap vice. Just my 02 ^_^