Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Opening Day

Opening day....tell me what the best patterns are for NJ? I want to actually catch a fish while fly fishing for once. :)

Thank you all!

-Mark

guessing that you're fishing for stocked trout--- #10 and #8 woolly worms on a 3xl hook like a 9672 are hard to beat. Bodies of black, brown, olive, yellow, and white chenille, all with grizzly hackle and a short red yarn tail. Some weighted, some bead head, some unweighted.

I've never NOT caught early trout on woolly worms as long as the water was decent. Don't worry about tiny small stuff, or perfect nymphs or any of that. The early stocked trout are still trying to figure out what the hell they are supposed to eat. They will hit big, buggy looking flies.

1 fly and 1 fly alone. THE INFAMOUS PINK WORM. ^_^

Do you just fish one or multiples? Like a dropper of 3 flies on one leader?

I never fished NJ but if the trout over there are like anything like the trout over here in PA than any egg pattern should work no matter what stream you are on. the 2 patterns that are must have in my box are crystal meth in pink or peach and milking otter eggs in apricot or salmon pink. If you do use otter eggs make sure you check up on the rules and regs of the stream you are planning on fishing. I know in PA you are not alowed to use natural or molded eggs in delayed harvest artificial lure only streams.