Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jackalopehunter

DIY deer hair

hey all was wondering if you could do a DIY deer hair from the body like you would do for bucktails. reason i ask is i got a deer in the freezer that i wasnt sure if i was going to mount, skullcap, or european mount with, decided to do a european mount, but i got bettr than half of the hide left over if i do. figured i could salvage if its possible.

Yes, for tying all you need is to dry it good. If there's blood left on the hair side, you'll want to wash it good in warm water with a degreasing type dish detergent. I've used Dawn which works well. It should be washed anyway to remove dirt & dust, but it doesn't have to be as long as you store it properly. Dirt, blood or any other protein is what attracts insects, like moths to natural materials. It can also sometimes make dyeing more difficult if you go that route.

Dry it as best you can with old terry cloth towels or paper towels. Lay it on some newspaper, which can help dry it some too. You won't get it completely dry, as long as it's only damp it should be OK.

If there's no flesh or gobs of fat left on the hide, then tack it to a board, leather side out & place it in a warm, dry place for several days to dry. You can salt it or coat the hide with borax if you wish, but it's not necessary. You should put a strip of thin wood between the board & the hair side to allow air to get in there & continue to dry the hair, otherwise it could start to rot. Keep an eye on it as it dries, watch for mold.

Once it's dry, the hide will be stiff. This is OK for tying. I usually cut up large pieces into smaller ones because they're easier to work with & store, then place them in zip lock type plastic bags & into the freezer for several days. This will do 2 things, make sure the hide is completely dry & if there are any insects or eggs in the hair, it should kill them. Even if it's been in a freezer, during the drying process, if it's possible that moths or other insects could get in the hair, it's best to freeze it again to be safe.

When cutting deer hides, I've found it best to use a razor knife with fresh blades and cut from the hide side only. This way you'll damage a lot less hair.

If you have thoughts of dyeing any of it, do it prior to drying it, while the hide is still wet from washing. You'll usually get a better dye job this way. Otherwise, the hair will be ready to use once it's dried.

Good luck with it!

What tidewater said, but if you want some alternative ways then do a search on the forum there have been some threads on this topic.

I have some pieces of deer hair from a deer I shot over 20 years ago, taken care of just like TWF says. It's in perfect condition.

When you're all properly cured and ready to use the deerhair remember that a double edged razor blade (the old fashioned kind that can be hard to find) makes the absolutely best cutting tool for trimming and shaping deer hair. I carefully (using small needle nosed pliers) snap each new blade in half lengthwise to produce two single edged pieces to work with and toss them the moment they're not cutting properly. If you do your own "zonker" strips (since I'm a salty tier calling my strips zonkers is a stretch...) that same double edged razor will slice rings around a standard razor blade. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

What part of the country was the deer from?

Here in the deep south (where I live) , the hair isn't worth fooling with... too short, not enough hollow hair.

If you live in the Dakotas, Montana or other far northern realms, then yes go for it!

What part of the country was the deer from?

Here in the deep south (where I live) , the hair isn't worth fooling with... too short, not enough hollow hair.

If you live in the Dakotas, Montana or other far northern realms, then yes go for it!

was taken out here in NC....actually havent gotten around to it, other things popped up, but eventually ill get around to it.