Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sierralima

almost 3 months since buying the starter kit

Hi. I just put my intro post up and didnt want to add all those pictures in there since most threads are just introductions. A couple months ago I bought the cheap starter kit from Gander Mountain and really enjoyed the 6 flies it taught me to do in there, so I went by the local Orvis store and bought some more materials and wrote down a list of flies I should try to tie for my area. Here is most of what I have done to this date (under 3 months), some have been lost while trying not to do the "bass master" hook set as my roomate calls it. I really enjoy this site and hope to develop half the skill most of you guys have. I hope my skill level improves enough so I will never have to use a fly tied by someone else, as the 10 or so trout I have caught so far have all been on flies I have tied. Not pictured are some bread flies I tied for carp fishing, and I am 0/3 on landing one of those on my 5wt with 5x tippet.

Let me know what you think.

parachute.png

irr.wolf.png

royalwolf.png

bigfly.png

man those are good flies for three months. Also that's a lot. :) Where do you fish?

I live near Virginia Tech's campus so I carp fish in the schools pond and trout fish in native/stocked streams so far as far away as Roanoke VA. I haven't hooked a native yet, when they hit on a dry fly I am slow on the set, used to waiting a second like I do while bass fishing topwater. I still mostly bass fish with baitcasting reels but the fly fishing is proving fun. In the next month I believe I will be fishing on the South Holston in TN and then going up to fly fish for shad in the James river during their run.

If your in the area let me know I try to fish as much as my schedule allows. I have family in Greensboro and Chapel Hill, is there good fishing in that area? I'll be down there soon too to turkey hunt with my brother and adding fishing to that would be great.

holy crap those are good for 3 months! I wish I could tie that nice!!!

Thank you. I just started the same fly over and over and downsizing on hook size and started to get an understanding of what I felt needed to be done. The picture with all the loose flys on a sheet of paper were all tied earlier today on a day off, and within them I can pick out which ones I started on and which I ended with for each fly. I still don't know most of those names or how to distinguish the styles of flies but I'm learning.